Can I change size of CT Volumes with Proxmox ?

rXp

Feb 2, 2019
Is it possible from Proxmox to modify the size of a CT Volume knowing that the volume would to took take some space from another.
I have three CT Volumes :
  1. VM-100-Disk - 2TB
  2. VM-101-Disk - 1TB
  3. VM-102-Disk - ~1TB
My CT n°1 has been mostly retired and now is only used at 5% of its capacity at most. The second CT is needing more space so I would like to be able to increase its size and take over what the disk n°1 does not need.
All of those CTs are from the same Disk which is the whole bay (RAID 5) of 4 TB.

Can I do this directly from Proxmox ? Is there any risk that Proxmox would write over the data from the first CT or loose it ? They are virtual so I would hope not.

it depends on your storage setup, but for most storages, shrinking a volume is not supported by PVE, and you'd need to do the required steps yourself on the shell if you really need it (but please be aware that it's a possibly dangerous operation!). maybe backing the container up and restoring into a new one with a smaller disk size is an option?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!