bypass proxmox by domain

bct

Jul 14, 2006
Saskatoon, SK
www.bct.cc
Hi there.

I have a user that purchased additional domain names, but none of them need to be filtered.

What will happen to emails sent via the new domain names when they reach proxmox (keep in mind proxmox's license does not include these new domain names). Will proxmox it let the new messages pass-through (no filtering) to the exchange server? or will the message die?

If the message will die, How do I bypass proxmox (only for these new domains) to allow those emails to still reach the exchange server?

Thank You!

Hi there.

I have a user that purchased additional domain names, but none of them need to be filtered.

What will happen to emails sent via the new domain names when they reach proxmox (keep in mind proxmox's license does not include these new domain names). Will proxmox it let the new messages pass-through (no filtering) to the exchange server? or will the message die?

If the message will die, How do I bypass proxmox (only for these new domains) to allow those emails to still reach the exchange server?

Thank You!

hi,
you have to upload a license covering the new domains, otherwise the messages will be not relayed.

why do you send the new domains to the proxmox server in order to do NO filtering? this makes no sense for me. but if this is what you want, sent them directly to the exchange server, bypassing proxmox.

You can configure the DNS MX records for those new domains to point directly to the exchange server.

- Dietmar

single ip

Thanks guys.
You have a fantastic product.

The issue is that he is struggling to justify the extra €1000 for an unlimited license just to accept the rare administrator@newdomain(s).com emails.

His ISP account type is named 'Entrepreneur' (from ShawCable) which only allows a maximum of one static external IP.

1. If I understand correctly:
He will need to purchase a different service from his ISP to gain a second static IP which will point directly to the Exchange Server (bypassing proxmox's relay).

2. Is there some way of still using a single IP by routing emails, according to domain, to the appropriate server? Maybe a very simplistic and inexpensive load-balancing solution?

3. Also, If he needs to send an email using one of the new domain names via his Exchange Server, will proxmox have any issue with that outgoing email?

Thank you again for your input.

Thanks guys.
You have a fantastic product.

The issue is that he is struggling to justify the extra €1000 for an unlimited license just to accept the rare administrator@newdomain(s).com emails.

His ISP account type is named 'Entrepreneur' (from ShawCable) which only allows a maximum of one static external IP.

1. If I understand correctly:
He will need to purchase a different service from his ISP to gain a second static IP which will point directly to the Exchange Server (bypassing proxmox's relay).

yes, this is what we suggested. alternative he can still buy a proxmox license.

2. Is there some way of still using a single IP by routing emails, according to domain, to the appropriate server? Maybe a very simplistic and inexpensive load-balancing solution?

you mean, the "all features, spend nothing" solution? no, I do not see this here.

3. Also, If he needs to send an email using one of the new domain names via his Exchange Server, will proxmox have any issue with that outgoing email?

outgoing is no problem.

Thanks Tom.
Normally he doesn't mind spending the money, but there is no justification for filtering these messages as the only active account will be administrator@newdomain(s).com which will not likely ever be used unless there is a issue with that domain. There are no actual email users of these domains.

His hope was that any domains which proxmox's relay rejected would be passed directly to the exchange server unfiltered by proxmox, thereby not dominating port 25. I did mention that proxmox was unable to accomplish this, but he wanted me to ask just to confirm.

I will present him with the following options.
1. Upgrade his ISP account to one that will allow an additional static ip, used to point directly to his exchange server.
2. Upgrade to a proxmox unlimited license
3. Point all the new domains to a 3rd party POP3 account and retrieve them from there.

Thank again for a great product and your input.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!