broadcasting by wifi in a vm ?

chilli.67

May 3, 2023
hi all, new to proxmox and linux , i am in the process of setting up a media server (,proxmox with DietPi and jellyfin) , my intention is to broadcast throughout my home only by wifi in from my vm hosted in a pve . Machine is likely to be designated media server only . No other vm unless necessary for assisting my media server.
My hardware at present to start with is a desktop pc with add in gpu card and wifi card into pcie, old 6cpu single core amd and 8 Gb ram only.(will upgrade later)
my hope is to keep separated from internet access.
may be included in a cluster soon.
proxmox installed .
iommu is yet to be installed and configured.
installing DietPi now.
single 40Gb drive for os , 2 drives for storage set to zfs.
wakeonlan configured
my questions are ,
can i setup a local access wifi network in jellyfin in a ve enviroment?
do i need to setup or install extra components , truenas, samba share etc? and what if needed?
or am i relagated to using access by separate AP and Lan into vm?
and would bridging ports help my case?

Wifi and bridging is problematic. See here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/WLAN

And not all Wifi chipsets will allow you to act as a AP or at least with limited features (like limited amount of client being able to connect to it). I would prefer to get a proper AP or an old router you can set to AP mode.

And PVE doesn't come with any NAS functionalities, so you need to set up that yourself using the CLI or use a NAS VM/LXC if you want some webUI.

Last edited:
Thankyou
re wifi , that was my initial research suggests , to use external wifi AP/router and Lan into pve-media,
Therefore, if i want to have this as a media server attached to a cluster as thats my intention , i assume one Lan port , physical port? yes for access to main cluster
And if i want to set up a seperate Lan from pve-media for my home broadcast i would need a separate or second physical Lan port ?
Or can i create two seperate vmbr0 and vmbr1 using the single Lan port eno1 for example? yes i can add in another Lan card as i am removing wifi now.
I learnt as far as NAS goes i will need to instal trueNas or similar , how im not set or decided, onto it soon tho im learning

Last edited:
And if i want to set up a seperate Lan from pve-media for my home broadcast i would need a separate or second physical Lan port ?
If you want a second isolated subnet outside of your PVE node just for your media and you don't got a managed switch with tagged VLAN capabilities, then yes. Then a second NIC (and second switch in case you want to connect more than one device to it) would be required.

Or can i create two seperate vmbr0 and vmbr1 using the single Lan port eno1 for example?
As long as you don't want to connect external devices/other computers (so only two subnets inside your PVE node) you could connect one bridge to your single NIC and NAT to the other bridge that is not connected to a NIC.

If you want a second isolated subnet outside of your PVE node just for your media and you don't got a managed switch with tagged VLAN capabilities, then yes. Then a second NIC (and second switch in case you want to connect more than one device to it) would be required.

As long as you don't want to connect external devices/other computers (so only two subnets inside your PVE node) you could connect one bridge to your single NIC and NAT to the other bridge that is not connected to a NIC.
Ok would a domestic wifi router suit if repurposed? as a managed switch? and Lan in to pve-media of course on an isolated network

Ok would a domestic wifi router suit if repurposed? as a managed switch? and Lan in to pve-media of course on an isolated network
first nic physical for pve cluster admin , and second nic for isolated acces for media broadcast .

Maybe with proper hardware and flashed with OpenWRT. The firmware of consumer routers usually is missing atures like tagged VLAN.
Thankyou , tried tplink , domestic router , no luck , i will look at openwrt , i may need to source a cheap suitable router to flash openWrt and trial that.

sorry for the eternal questions , i have actually gotten tplink to communicate with my vm now (how good not sure yet), i had to disable nic0 in os, and only use nic1 (wifi router tplink for now) (i am using mint temp installed for ease of learning and setting up config) while i choose a vm or container setup for my media.i am getting dns settings and device VM is showing in app. i know i may need to go to openWRT but trying.

my question now is with jellyfin or plex etc , as im setting up to Lan in for all access from wifi router, for all the users in my home ,therefore i am using a remote wifi device to Lan into VM or container etc , i want to know do i need to set up individual device/users per device in pve-media (pam or linux) and same in the VM or container that runs my media (assuning no as i dant want them acces to pve etc) , or i assume the lan is generic access and i use the wifi router as the manager for access to my VM or container?. Pls this is for confirmation as im trying to get my hardware right before trying to setup, communicate and broadcast through a brick, as i may not now what the brick is yet .

sorry for the eternal questions , i have actually gotten tplink to communicate with my vm now (how good not sure yet), i had to disable nic0 in os, and only use nic1 (wifi router tplink for now) (i am using mint temp installed for ease of learning and setting up config) while i choose a vm or container setup for my media.i am getting dns settings and device VM is showing in app. i know i may need to go to openWRT but trying.

my question now is with jellyfin or plex etc , as im setting up to Lan in for all access from wifi router, for all the users in my home ,therefore i am using a remote wifi device to Lan into VM or container etc , i want to know do i need to set up individual device/users per device in pve-media (pam or linux) and same in the VM or container that runs my media (assuning no as i dant want them acces to pve etc) , or i assume the lan is generic access and i use the wifi router as the manager for access to my VM or container?. Pls this is for confirmation as im trying to get my hardware right before trying to setup, communicate and broadcast through a brick, as i may not now what the brick is yet .
and in question , yes i am gathering disabling nic0 my internet access means i have to manually enable to update install etc and ssh , in my instance now i have 2 physical nics 0/1 due to circumstances both have thier own dns at present ( can change if i told more) , is it possible to bridge bond these to work as one with 2 different dns or ???? im dreaming its not a chance.

And you really want a dedicated Wifi just for media streaming? I personally would be totally annoyed by that, because each time I want to see a movie I would need to switch the network from the normal "internet" wifi to the "media" wifi which also means that my devices would be offline while doing this, until I finished watching and can switch back the the normal wifi with internet access.

If you just want that this jellyfin is only locally accessible from your wifi and not from the internet, proper firewall rules would be the usual way to go without an additional wifi network.

Main reason is for younger viewers watching repeatedly movies or cartoons etc over and over , or repeated cartoons etc,season episodes , (paw patrol etc) , viewing of family photos , birthday vids , kids sporting vid all hosted at home etc etc, i have 3 x 2TB portable hdd and 3 backup (kids handlin) going between devices,
and as far as adults or teenagers go the few in my house can supply thier own online experience , or join internet not home media.
Straight up. last week i spent 50GB or $35 australian dollars to have kids watch movies i have and own on hdd , why? am idoing this? its over $400 through year inc topups. wasted, could spend on new movies etc yes?

summary , i am in a legal position to make sure some residents under my roof are not exposed, but are protected , this is my solution t provide a visual experience and allow me to follow regulations and rules imposed on me .

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!