Bridge two interfaces with different speed

Lucas Rey

May 18, 2018
Hello community, currently I have a test (and working) bridge on proxmox configured with 2 physical interfaces, all of them are 1Gb.
One connection goes to my primary PC, other one to 1Gb multi ports switch to allow communication with the rest of the network.

I'm planning to upgrade my 4x1Gb ports board replacing it with Intel x710-t4 (10Gb RJ45). In this way I can increase transfer speed from my primary PC to the NAS (TrueNAS virtualized on Proxmox). Problem is that currently I don't have a 10Gb switch, so I would like to keep the bridge so that my PC, in theory, can trasfer file at 10Gb to/from NAS, and communicate with the rest of the network at 1Gb.

My concern is about the mixed speed on bridge. What happen to 10Gb? I'll be able to have 10Gb speed to my virtual NAS while I'll have 1Gb to the rest of the network?
Basically I should have something similar to:

Immagine 001.png
Thank you
Lucas

In general, bridging with different speeds is no problem in active/passive setup, LACP is "vendor dependend" and I don't know how your image should work with respect to bridging. What mode are you running on?

In general, bridging with different speeds is no problem in active/passive setup, LACP is "vendor dependend" and I don't know how your image should work with respect to bridging. What mode are you running on?
It's a simple Lunix Bridge who contains 2 phisycal interfaces:
Immagine 001.png
As I wrote, currently is working perfect, however this config is useless with 1Gb, while I can connect the PC to the switch. My goal is expand the card on Proxmox to 10Gb and keep the Bridge. So that one connection will go to the PC (always 10Gb) and other one to the Switch.
Ideally my PC will transfer file to/from NAS VM using higher speed, while it will comunicates with other network at 1Gb.
But I don't know what happen if I create a bridge with different network speed and if what I described will work.

Damn, I missunderstood. I thought of bonding and then bridging, not just bridging.

But I don't know what happen if I create a bridge with different network speed and if what I described will work.
That is the default case. Every PVE bridge connects different speeds, your always have your external NIC with its speed and each VM with infinity speed, mostly detected as 10 GBE.

That is the default case. Every PVE bridge connects different speeds, your always have your external NIC with its speed and each VM with infinity speed, mostly detected as 10 GBE.
Thank you for confirming. So, if I understood, every connections from my PC to/from NAS proxmox VM, will use 10Gb, while any other connections, going to 1Gb switch, will work at such 1Gb speed.

Yesterday, I disconnected the GREEN network (the one using the 1Gb switch). Something like:

Immagine 001.png

and check the connection to/from NAS. Connection works perfect, this means that my PC doesn't use switch to reach NAS VM. So in teory you're right, connection to NAS should be 10Gb.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!