Bowser wont connect to VM, Refused to connect.

skydragon

Mar 8, 2022
Hello,
I just installed Proxmox and I am trying to run Octoprint in a VM with Ubuntu Server. I can see it running in the terminal and I checked it at my router and it says it is running. I can also SSH into it, but my web browser says refused to connect. I am a NOOB, but I looked all over the net and I cant figure it out. HELP PLEASE??
Thanks, Larry

Hey,

how did you start Octoprint? This is just a wild guess, but it would explain the behavior you're seeing, skimming over their docs I saw you have to/can set the host IP, make sure you don't set it to 127.0.0.1(as in their example), because this would only allow a connection form the same machine the server is running on(so the VM itself). Rather use 0.0.0.0 as the host IP, which allows connections from everywhere.

Hey,

how did you start Octoprint? This is just a wild guess, but it would explain the behavior you're seeing, skimming over their docs I saw you have to/can set the host IP, make sure you don't set it to 127.0.0.1(as in their example), because this would only allow a connection form the same machine the server is running on(so the VM itself). Rather use 0.0.0.0 as the host IP, which allows connections from everywhere.
where would i go to change it?

I went into nano /etc/network/interfaces but there is nothing there. says it is not writable.

Last edited:
lsof -i -P | grep LISTEN

does this show any listening ports on the system?

You should see a list of ports on which your system is listening with the corresponding process. Make sure you run lsof -i -P | grep LISTEN as root directly or with sudo. Also, how did you start the Octoprint service?

Did you start with with
octoprint daemon {start|stop|restart} [--pid PIDFILE] [1]
or
octoprint serve [1].
Were any errors reported when you started it?

[1] https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint/blob/master/README.md

Here is what I see. I cant start octoprint or Im not sure how to start it from the terminal. I cant access it through the browser either.

Attachments

• brave_o40MwWDsLY.png
    brave_o40MwWDsLY.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 8
I pretty much followed the Octoprint on github. I was wrong Octoprint didnt start. i was able to log in at terminal but thats where I am stuck.

Just followed the guide linked from github - seems to work OK

If you've followed the guide and installed in a python virtualenv then you need to use

Code:
./venv/bin/octoprint serve

to launch the program, then open a browser to http://<ip address of vm>:5000

I have done the install 3 times with no luck, There is also a youtube video on this and I did that as well.

Last edited:
I GOT IT!!!!! Capitalization is VERY IMPORTANT. I had the P in octoprint capitalized like the guide. I didnt do mine that way.
THANK YOU ALL. THANK YOU THANK YOU

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!