Boot vm from usb drive

Seiden18

Jan 27, 2022
Hi,

I am just new to Proxmox and I have Just a short question. I did some searching but couldn't find any answer.

Is it possible to let a VM boot from a USB drive? I presume that yes. If it is the case, is there a Tutorial here or someone could kindly point me to the right direction ?

Thanks in advance.

Did you try USB passthrough and then entering the VMs BIOS/UEFI to change the boot order?
Hi Dunuin,

Thanks for replying. As I mentioned I am new to this hence I was looking for some tutorial. I am what you would call a regular end user but I can sure follow up a tutorial. I recently discovered proxmox and the world of virtualization which fascinates me with the possibility of having different OS running simultaneously.
I understand the concept of passthrough but this Bios/uefi I will need to research on it as it seems the case.
Seiden18

PS. Still though if you know of any good tutorial regarding the above please let me know. Any help to this humble newbie is much appreciated:)

If you for example use a Q35 machine you can press ESC when booting the VM to get into the VMs UEFI. There you can setup several things like the boot order.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!