[SOLVED] Boot Error

NickCraig

Mar 24, 2022
I have been running Proxmox 6.4 on a SSD for a few years, yesterday I noticed all my VM's were offline I hooked a monitor up to the host to see a black screen. Upon reboot I am met with the following message.
Linux 5.4.34-1-pve .. error: failure reading sector Ox4943738 from "hd1" Loading initial ramdisk . error: failure reading sector 0x4943738 from "hd1" Press any key to continue...

I am able to boot from a Proxmox rescue CD and all of my VMs/data is still intact. Has anyone seen an error like this and what can be done to fix it?

Hey,

looks like there is something wrong with your storage. You can try running fsck /dev/... (from your rescue CD), also check if there is a BIOS update available.

Hannes,

I was able to do a BIOS update on the computer a Lenovo (M92P). I can't get the boot drive or the clone of the boot drive to even boot now. The only way to get into anything is booting from the Rescue CD. I tried tunning the fsck command from Proxmox once booted from the rescue CD and get an error that the drives are in use.

I was able to run fsck /dev/sda from the rescue CD

Results are
fsck from util-linux 2.33.1
e2fsck 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)
ext2fs open: Bad magic number in super-block
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem.
If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 (device>
or
e2fsck -b 32768 (device)
Found a gpt partition table in /dev/sda

Proxmox was installed and has been running under UEFI

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!