Boot disk completely empty after powerloss?

Deltakron

Mar 26, 2024
Hey, my Server just experienced a sudden loss of power.

As I tried to boot it up again, it would only start into the BIOS. The Boot disk is detected correctly, but it just wouldn't even try to start into it.

When attaching it to my windows pc and looking at the boot disk using the AOMEI Partition Manager, it would say that the entire disk was unallocated, without a single partition.

I've never heard of this. Sadly, I only have some older Backups.

Can something like this really happen, just deleting everything from my disk?

I've seen it happen with SSDs when losing power during trimming. Maybe it's only the partition table and the backup table is still good? Try TestDisk.

EDIT: This is not specific to Proxmox and other Linux guides and people might also be able to help you.

Reactions: Kingneutron
Great to hear that it worked. For the future, think about getting a UPS so there won't be unexpected power losses any longer corrupting your partition tables ;)

I have an UPS, I was just being stupid when organizing my cables, lol.
I've been in the same situation - though I emerged unscathed. As a rule now - I don't touch the cables on a running machine. First migrate anything critical - & then shutdown node - before cable management/opening the bonnet!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!