Black screen @ installation

jona

Mar 2, 2024
Hi everyone.
I've seen, that some years and versions ago there have already been issues with the installation (version 6.x) on some servers like the one I'm facing today, but as there have been later major releases, I chose to start a new thread, hoping this is ok.

On my DELL T140 I've tried to install the latest Proxmox 8.1.
What I did:
1. Create a bootable USB device (it was already used for another proxmox installation, that did work on a DELL T610)
2. Boot from USB
3. a) select "Install Proxmox VE (Graphical)"
b) select "Install Proxmox VE (Terminal UI)"
4. Press Enter

->the console appeared and the last entry I could read was "Loading initial ramdisk",
then the screen went black.

I waited several minutes (30+) and Itried both ways, the graphical UI and terminal UI, but in both ways I faced the same issue.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I'd really appreciate some help.
But I really hope, that there won't be the "install debian" workaround to go for.

EDIT:
24/03/2024

I use a physical attached screen as I don't have a license for iDRAC virtual console

01/04/2024
I also tried the setting "quiet splash=nomode" but got the same result -> black screen

Last edited:
So I've found the answer to the problem.
In https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap there was mentioned that for some older kernel versions there was a problem with X2APIC enabled, so I've found https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...rs-with-x2apic-enabled-in-system-bios?lang=en

and after disabling X2APIC in System Setup / System BIOS / Processor Settings
Proxmox could be installed in a normal way.

After the complete installation I rebooted into the system BIOS again (pressing F2) and enabled X2APIC. After the reboot, Proxmox got stuck in GRUB with a blinking cursor and without any further information. So for now I'm running the server without x2APIC.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!