Black Screen Crash at Boot

MCNPathfinder

Jan 9, 2020
Good afternoon!

I've been running Proxmox for probably a little more than a year now. It's been pretty stable as long as I don't mess with it. Well... I messed with it. I was attempting to get my 4 port NIC pass through to a VM. I was getting an error that said something about IOMMU. I double-checked that all of the available virtualization options were turned on in the BIOS. The last ditch effort was to try and follow these instructions: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/iommu-broke-solved.53188/.

I run an old Dell OptiPlex 755 and it looked like IOMMU shouldn't be a problem. When I did the steps for GRUB and did the "update-grub", Proxmox no longer starts up. It seems like it gets through GRUB, but then stops pretty much right away mentioning something about "Can't process LV pve/vm-100..." and it ends saying something about "/dev/mapper/pve-root: clean..." then switches to a completely black screen. It's outputing black because my monitor self-adjusts and doesn't go to sleep, but there is no hard drive activity, no response from the keyboard, and I have to do a hard shutdown in order to turn off the computer.

I put the Proxmox ISO on a flash drive and I am able to get everything back if I do a "Rescue Boot", but it won't boot on it's own.

Any ideas on what I might have done and how to reverse it?

The last ditch effort was to try and follow these instructions: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/iommu-broke-solved.53188/.
what exactly did you try from there?

did you see the official docs? https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI(e)_Passthrough

I run an old Dell OptiPlex 755 and it looked like IOMMU shouldn't be a problem.
what cpu exactly? from experience, the older the platform cpu, the worse the iommu and vt-d support/implementation
(afaict the cpu is core 2 duo era, so quite old as far as cpus go)

..." then switches to a completely black screen
did you check if the network was working from another pc?

I put the Proxmox ISO on a flash drive and I am able to get everything back if I do a "Rescue Boot", but it won't boot on it's own.
mhmm check the logs (e.g. the messages/syslog/journalctl) from the boot that didnt work

Any ideas on what I might have done and how to reverse it?
i do not know what you have done exactly, but it seems that the activation of the iommu has gone wrong,
so disable that again, (e.g. remove that from /etc/default/grub and run update-grub again)

Thank you for your reply! I was able to get it back working thanks to your tips! I should've followed the directions from Proxmox instead of what I had found online. I ended up adding a bunch of extra files and folders (due to my misunderstanding of basic CLI commands) and I think this corrupted GRUB when I updated. I thought the boot process had made it past GRUB, but I was incorrect.

Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, and decided to follow the official Proxmox instructions for passthrough. Same thing happened, but at least I knew what exactly I did and how to reverse it.

Long story short, it's back up and running! Just how I left it before I started mucking around. Thank you thank you thank you! I guess this machine just doesn't do passthrough... It's also supposed to support 8GB of RAM, but I haven't found anything that works to get it there. Stuck at 7GB,

Might be time for a new server. Thanks again!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!