[SOLVED] Bind mount /dev/net directory from host to unprivileged container?

emmanuel

Dec 5, 2017
I have an unprivileged container that runs Centos 7 and I want it to run as an openvpn client to a pfsense firewall. But I can't seem to get it running as the guest container does not have "dev/net/tun". So I looked online and saw people create the file directly inside the container but unprivileged containers can't create device nodes since it is a kernel policy. So the next method is to bind mount it. I tried mounting it but it seems every time I create a "net" directory inside the container's "dev" directory so I can bind mount the host's "dev/net" directory it deletes it. So I wanna ask the community if there is any way around this, and, Happy Holidays! :)

Reactions: carpler
hi,

did you install the necessary kernel module on the host? (modprobe tun)

Reactions: emmanuel
hi,

did you install the necessary kernel module on the host? (modprobe tun)
Tried that just now and it still deletes the net directory I created inside the guest's /dev directory upon reboot. :/
Is there some way to make the guest make use of the tun file inside the host's /dev/net? Or somehow mount it some other way?

Edit:
I tried to add a few lines in "/var/lib/lxc/<CT_ID>/config" but it gets deleted every time the guest is turned on. :| So the only way to persist the bind mounting is doing it via "/etc/pve/lxc/CT_ID.conf" but when I do it there, the guest refuses to turn on.

Edit#2:
This is a PRIVILEGED container, I apologize, seems that I un-ticked the unprivileged option when I restored the container file after my old HDD died and transferred it to this new proxmox instance.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!