Best way to detect and terminate high cpu usage?

SoWhy

Mar 29, 2024
Hi all,

I have a PVE with 20 Windows 11 Pro guests. All are configured the same. There is one application running that users need and that cannot be replaced but which also is a piece of crappy coding which will regularly start using high amounts of cpu without discernable reason, forcing me to kill and restart it. I would like to automate this process but I'm not sure if it's easier to have Proxmox monitor the usage and issue a command using the guest agent or whether I should install something on the guests to monitor and take action. I know that there is likely always the same culprit, so I don't need anything that determines which process is causing the high cpu, I just need to determine that high cpu usage is happening and act accordingly.

Apart from proxmox, I also have Remotely installed on the guests to execute commands. I can also install something on the guests directly or install another software to remotely monitor and execute commands.

So what would be the best solution for this type of problem?

TIA
SoWhy

you can monitor usage (e.g., by calling the VM status API endpoint) and execute commands inside the VM (if the guest agent is installed). but you'll have to write the code glueing that together yourself ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!