best way to automatically sync backups to USB disk when it connects

SineWave

Feb 26, 2024
Hi,

I'm testing proxmox for a couple of months now and i'm very happy.
At the moment I have 3 disks, 2 internal and 1 usb-hdd.

I already set the backup job to backup the VM's from internal disk 1 to disk 2.
Now I want "something" to copy the backup-files from disk 2 to the usb-hdd when I connect it.

This because I plan to use this usb-hdd as an offsite-backup.
The usb-hdd will be connected every 2 weeks or so, so most of the time it will not be present for the system.

Hi,

I'm testing proxmox for a couple of months now and i'm very happy.
At the moment I have 3 disks, 2 internal and 1 usb-hdd.

I already set the backup job to backup the VM's from internal disk 1 to disk 2.
Now I want "something" to copy the backup-files from disk 2 to the usb-hdd when I connect it.

This because I plan to use this usb-hdd as an offsite-backup.
The usb-hdd will be connected every 2 weeks or so, so most of the time it will not be present for the system.

I think there are many ways to achieve this it all just depends on the amount of time you want to spend. I use ansible to do backup automatically but may not be worth the effort for you? idk... Can you just not like schedule a backup let us say every 2 weeks at 9 pm or something and insert that drive before?
And question, why not get the backup from the working vm/lxc rather than getting it from you backup? Reason i asked is this: what if your main backup is corrupted or something and you do not know about it? Then you do a backup of the corrupted data?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!