Best resolution configurability AND performance options for Windows 10+ guests?

verulian

Feb 18, 2019
Is there a guide to getting the "best" graphical performance along with highly customizable resolutions from a non-passthrough virtual machine guest of Windows 10 and higher in Proxmox? It seems like the gist is to install the SPICE latest drivers from https://www.spice-space.org/download.html#windows-binaries and then to manually pick RedHat QXL or Virtio GPU. My main goal is to a) get the best performance possible and B) be able to get very custom resolutions so I can have some non-standard wide formats for being able to open more windows in a horizontal layout more easily.

Currently I use Jump Connect with QXL as the driver to get really nice remote access, but I can't seem to get a resolution I want.

For example, I'd like to do something around 2400 x 1080, but I can't seem to get anywhere close:
13ec5f6d-db02-41db-b2dc-db387df693db.png

I would like to bump this question. Similar problem over here.

Windows 11 quest with passtrough RTX4060.
Dual Monitor (drivers correct recognized).
Limit is 1920 x 1080 - that is "ok" but how to "fix" this?
First thought might be a NVIDIA or monitor problem - but I cannot see it.

PVE Display: None, while I dont need "noVNC" or remote for it right now.

I really love PVE but high resolution is missing @passtrough

Reactions: verulian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!