Best Practice Cpu Limit and Cpu Unit

alpali2020

Dec 29, 2020
Hi,
I have 60 VMs running on Proxmox 7.1. Cpu usage average is %90. I want to limit the cpu of all 60 Vms so the maximum cpu usage of physical host will never reach %90. Is it possible?
Another question;
Is it possible to limit the frequency of cpu like vmware. For instance, get lower from 3.7 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz.
Yours truly,

Hi,
I have 60 VMs running on Proxmox 7.1. Cpu usage average is %90. I want to limit the cpu of all 60 Vms so the maximum cpu usage of physical host will never reach %90. Is it possible?
Best would be to just lower the number of vCPUs you assign to VMs. You can use "CPU limit" to limit how much of these vCPUs performance can be used but this will still increase the queue and therefore the latency.
Another question;
Is it possible to limit the frequency of cpu like vmware. For instance, get lower from 3.7 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz.
Frequency of the host or the guests?

All guests already have 1 vCPU.
How much cores/threads got your server? If you set the CPU limit to 0.9 with 60 threads your CPU should be limited to 90% load. If your CPUs only got 30 threads you would need to use a CPU limit of 0.45 and so on. And keep in mind that threads are no full cores. Your CPU might be struggeling even if only 75% of your threads are fully utilized.
lower frequency of guest
Not as far as I know.

Last edited:
Cpu is Intel i5 12600k (10 core , 16 threads)
In this case, I think cpu limit should be about 0.23

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!