best option for "shared storage" from local disks?

dirtbag2k

Nov 27, 2018
Hey folks, I have 2 servers with nvme storage on each. I'm looking for a way to make a large partition from one of the servers
/dev/sda4 for example, and making it a "shared storage between the 2 clustered proxmox nodes.. Is this even possible?
is it possible to do zfs over iscsi with this configuration? Im not terribly worried about redundancy of the storage in this case.
I want to be able to use the compute and ram on each server for running VMs or else I would just turn one of them into a dedicated freenas server.

-db

iSCSI cannot be shared, so that's absolutely not the way to go.
You could
- set up storage replication between two local storages (minimum replication time is one minute, so upon migrating in case of a failure you lose one minute max.)
- configure drbd to mirror the drives
- set up a GlusterFS
- buy a third node and go for Ceph

There might be more options, but that is what I see so far.

thanks for the info. I got lazy and just set it up as an NFS export and that seems to work fine.

-db

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!