[SOLVED] Best method to add m.2 ssd storage to one VM

mforum

May 16, 2023
Hello,

this is my second proxmox system I am setting up.

Today I need a recommendation what is the best method to add a m.2 SSD exclusively to one VM?

Details
The VM is my backup NAS and I want to use this m.2 ssd with 4tb exclusively as encrypted (cryptsetup or veracrypt) storage for it.

PCI pass through reads complicated and I did not find a guide for a N100 processor... Any experiences?

Alternatives?

BR Martin

If you dont want to mess with PCI pass through, simply create a LVM thing storage with the M.2 drive and add a virtual disk of the VM with (a bit less than) 4TB on that storage. In the VM you can use any encryption you like. This way you can make full backups of that VM from Proxmox and it's easier to move to another Proxmox host if needed.

Reactions: mforum
It's quite easy, you can do it from the webUI once the drive is installed in the host:

- Go to Disks and check that the drive is fully empty. If it has some partition or other data, use the wipe disk button to fully remove all partition tables, etc. Proxmox VE won't let you use that disk from the webUI unless is empty.
- The go to LVM thin and use the button Create: thinpool. From the dropdown, pick your drive. Give it a meaningful name like "4tbnvme", "thinpool", "encrypted"... You'll get another storage in Proxmox VE.
- Now go to your backup NAS VM and add a virtual harddisk stored in your shiny new Proxmox storage. Just give it like 50gb less thant your total disk size to have some headroom for snapshots, metadata and so on. If you have an existing drive, you can use disk action button and Move storage to the new disk.
- From the VM OS, format the drive, apply encryption and use it as normal.

Enjoy!

Yes that was easy and straight forward.

Everything worked as explained and is up and running.

Thank you for your quick and excellent help!

Maybe you can give me another recommendation?

For my docker lxc, I would prefer
- to store the data outside the lxc
- to share them with other lxc / VM
- to make automated backups with nas1

What storage strategy you suggest?

PS will open another thread for this...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!