(beginner) NVMe drive setup: will I be stupid?

HerzogVonWiesel

Nov 22, 2023
Hey there!

I'm starting to upgrade my home server and want to start using proxmox to seperate my concerns, those being:
- Photo backup using immich
- DDNS & nginx web server
- Paperless & Obsidian
- Home Assistant

AFAIK, its quite important to start out with the correct number of drives; as I already have a 2TB NVMe, I'm thinking of a RAIDZ-1 setup to get 4TB of storage, buying two more 2TB NVMes as well as a PCIe4x to NVMe adapter (since I only have 2 nvme slots on my motherboard).
Now, is there a major faux-pas doing it this way? Am I missing something, or is there something big I should look out for?

I'm really thankful for any insight and help, thank you in advance!
Cheers, Herzog

I'd rather know before I spend 150€ on two more drives, that's why I'm asking beforehand :)
Okay, it had sound as if you had all that's needed. If you can afford, I would go ahead...
Bare in mind that you may need to passthrough the PCIe device.

Last edited:
raidZ1 will not give you anything near 4TB when using three drives of 2TB. Please search the forum for ZFS raidz padding; you might be better of with a 2x2TB mirror.
Also, if you device to buy cheap consumer QLC SSDs, you'll waste your money. Please search the forum about QLC and learn about enterprise drives with PLP.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!