balance-alb on host causing problems with guests.

Robstarusa

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2009
I have each of my 3 vm cluster nodes setup with balance-alb across two nics. My "gateway"/firewall (openbsd) is a guest that is bridged to one of the bonds.

eth0 + eth1 = bond0, bridge to vmbr0

However when I try to ping the guest, I get a lot of icmp redirects. Sometimes I'll get 2/3/5 in a row and then it's fine for 10 pings...etc. It's irregular

If I check the arp table from the pinging host (my laptop -- a client behind the firewall) it shows the guest mac/ip mapping was overwritten with the mac of one of the physical nics in the host bond (eg: the physicla mac of eth0 on the host)

If I remove balance-alb from from the host and start the guest, the mac of the guest is as expected (mac of guest shown in the arp table in my laptop matches what is shown in the proxmox web configuration)

Any ideas?

Is this a bug or is my configuration wrong?

To buy a switch that supports this here is about $600'ish for the 48 ports that I'd like to have (wiring the whole house)....way out of my budget at the moment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!