Bad NFS performance over vlans.

Gerard Oedzes

Dec 4, 2022
Good evening,

I hope there is someone who can help me in the right direction.
I manage my ZFS pools in Proxmox and, where necessary, pass them on to the VMs via NFS.

In my proxmox server I use a duo port Intel 10GB network card.

I access the proxmox GUI via 1 port and all VMs are assigned to the other port, so all VMs are linked to the same network port.

My proxmox server itself is located in the LAN network.
When I assign an NFS share to a VM outside the LAN network (still the same port but with a VLAN tag) my speed drops from 700-MB/s to about 80-MB/s.

In pfSense, all rules on every network are disabled, except 1 rule: allow all traffic to all networks.

Also in Unifi I cannot find what is holding back the speed.

Is there something in Proxmox causing this delay over tagged networks, or should I look for it in pfSense?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

You could try using iperf to determine the speed between Proxmox and pfSense (and any further hop) - that way you should be able to find out where the bottleneck lies.

Thank you for your message Stefan.
I have now found a solution.

Instead of placing a vlan tag per VM, I have now created a bridge with a vlan tag. I have attached an IP address to this bridge so that I can connect within the local network.

speeds are good now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!