Backup VM to another Disk (ask for advice)

g.begdekow

Mar 7, 2023
Hi, everyone.

I am new Proxmox user. I have 2 Dell R740 servers. Both have 4x 4TB HDDs. I want to make 3 of them RAID 5, make 1 of the other server's VM backups, the other one in the same way and save its VM backups to the 1 HDD. Do you think this makes sense?ServerBAK.jpg

Looks good. The issue here is how to implement that... You would need to somehow mount the remote fs locally (NFS, sshfs, etc) and use vzdump or use two PBS servers on each Dell...

IMHO, I would try to get a third server so you can:

- Have PBS on the 3rd server.
- Have a proper cluster with 2 nodes + qdevice in the 3rd server.
- Do backups of your servers to an external system.
- Even use ZFS (if your raid controller can be run un IT mode or you can replace it, as ZFS does not support RAID controllers) and use storage replication for the two Dell servers.
- Manage all your VMs and backups from one place instead of two.

If your nodes are in the same cluster, you can easily and automatically snapshot/replicate from one to the other.

Reactions: g.begdekow

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!