Backup to another node

bolighbilant

Mar 14, 2024
Hi.

I'm really new to proxmox. I will try to back up my "proxmox" node's vms to "dl380" node. They are in cluster.
I have a directory type storage on "dl380" node with the following settings.
Képernyőkép 2024-03-14 205419.png
When I try to run a backup job I received the following error message.
Képernyőkép 2024-03-14 205441.png

I checked the systemctl status mnt-pve-backup.mount:
Képernyőkép 2024-03-14 205904.png

Please help! :)
Thanks.
Balint.

You "backup" storage is of local type, ie only available to DL380.

It is also, properly, marked to be a mountpoint.

However, you did not restrict the storage in "nodes" field , so in your cluster _all_ nodes are given impression that they should have it.

You can see "?" next to "backup" storage on "proxmox" node - it means the storage is not available.

The error you are getting is pretty clear : cant activate storage because there is a directory but its not a mountpoint. This is likely because there is nothing mounted to that directory on "proxmox" node.

The bottom line - directory type storage does not become "shared" storage whether its in cluster or not.

I suspect you want a proper shared storage, ie NFS, to achieve your goal.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

You "backup" storage is of local type, ie only available to DL380.

It is also, properly, marked to be a mountpoint.

However, you did not restrict the storage in "nodes" field , so in your cluster _all_ nodes are given impression that they should have it.

You can see "?" next to "backup" storage on "proxmox" node - it means the storage is not available.

The error you are getting is pretty clear : cant activate storage because there is a directory but its not a mountpoint. This is likely because there is nothing mounted to that directory on "proxmox" node.

The bottom line - directory type storage does not become "shared" storage whether its in cluster or not.

I suspect you want a proper shared storage, ie NFS, to achieve your goal.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thanks a lot bbgeek! It works! :)

Reactions: bbgeek17

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!