Backup time out but was still completed.

Erick3k

Oct 3, 2017
Hello

On Proxmox VE provides an error: unexpected status / ERROR: can't acquire lock '/var/run/vzdump.lock' - got timeout

However, operantly the backup was still completed on Proxmox Backup end.

It is a little concerning because, you expect the got timeout to stop the backup, yet it was done and no record of it on Proxmox VE.

Attachments

• 2023-09-25 10_38_57-ns5025077 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.jpg
    2023-09-25 10_38_57-ns5025077 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2023-09-25 10_39_48-ns3109913 - Proxmox Backup Server.jpg
    2023-09-25 10_39_48-ns3109913 - Proxmox Backup Server.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 13
can you post the complete failed task log?

()

Task viewer: VM/CT 101 - Backup

OutputStatus

INFO: trying to get global lock - waiting...
ERROR: can't acquire lock '/var/run/vzdump.lock' - got timeout

but it seems that's not the same task log as in your screenshot above with the 'unexpected status' error?

but it seems that's not the same task log as in your screenshot above with the 'unexpected status' error?
Can you explain? that is indeed the same task log on the proxmox VE on the screenshot, the second screenshot is proxmox backup. Are you asking for a different task log? i guarantee you, that is the correct task log for 1 VM all other 3 say the exact same

Maybe this helps, otherwise sorry but i'm not sure what you are referring to then.

Regards

Attachments

• 2023-09-27 10_40_09-ns5025077 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.jpg
    2023-09-27 10_40_09-ns5025077 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi,
the timeout error likely means that there was still another backup running at that time. By default, each vzdump invocation waits 180 minutes for the lock. This can be controlled via the --lockwait CLI option. You can also change your schedules, so there is enough time in between or maybe you can group some jobs together.

Hi,
the timeout error likely means that there was still another backup running at that time. By default, each vzdump invocation waits 180 minutes for the lock. This can be controlled via the --lockwait CLI option. You can also change your schedules, so there is enough time in between or maybe you can group some jobs together.
Thank you, however all i'm reporting on is that there was an error of timeout yet backup completed with no way of knowing that on the proxmox backend unless you actually take a look at the backup storage. Upon timeout i would guess that i would expect the backup to stop but seems like is not the case. I have no issue or anything to fix on my end. Just pointing out if is a bug or could cause backup notifications to not work.

Anyway, appreciate the tips.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!