[SOLVED] Backup strategy recommendations

proxale

May 24, 2020
I'm looking into implementing additional backups for a basic Proxmox host (no Ceph/SAN). Currently it's just rsync to another physical non-Proxmox machine and that machine died thus prompting a look into additional offsite backup.

The initial plan was to backup to a remote storage like rsync.net or wasabi.com

While going through documentation and info, my understanding is that ProxMox PBS and zsync all appear to be backing up the disk images. This means that if an important file was lost/corrupted, it is not possible to recover just that file alone. I would have to
- backup the current VM
- restore earlier backup
- find the target file(s), copy it somewhere
- restore the current backup
- copy the target file(s) back into the VM.

If the backup is on local network, this could still be done within reasonable time. However, since this would be on remote, the time needed would be impractical given the typical size of a VM disk and WAN network speed of only 100Mbps.

The other way I can think of to achieve individual file retrieval is to rsync within each VMs to the backup location. Base on past experiences, this is usually quite a slow process on large file systems, the actual transfers can take far far lesser time than what rsync needs to scan the filesystem.

Are there any backup methods that could be used with ProxMox that has a relatively fast backup time and yet easily retrieve individual files?

Last edited:
While going through documentation and info, my understanding is that ProxMox PBS and zsync all appear to be backing up the disk images. This means that if an important file was lost/corrupted, it is not possible to recover just that file alone.
There is single-file restore with PBS in case the filesystem of the virtual disk is supported by PBS. You don't have to restore the whole VM/LXC or virtual disk.

Reactions: proxale
There is single-file restore with PBS in case the filesystem of the virtual disk is supported by PBS. You don't have to restore the whole VM/LXC or virtual disk.
Thanks, unfortunately, I just realized there is no free version for PBS and the subscription cost is above the target budget after accounting for the remote storage costs. So I need to look at alternatives.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!