backup-server: error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to xxxxxxxx:8007 (hostname verification failed)

pipiche

Mar 7, 2022
I have a backup-server installed on an LXC.
On the back-server side, I have configured several Data store and they are usable from other hosts.

When I want to use a Datastore from the Host where the LXC Backup Server runs , I'm not able to get access to it and getting this error message

Sep 26 12:30:39 pitchoun2 pvedaemon[1745]: backup-server: error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to 10.0.0.100:8007 (hostname verification failed)
Sep 26 12:30:40 pitchoun2 pvestatd[1692]: backup-server: error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to 10.0.0.100:8007 (hostname verification failed)

While when doing that I'm getting a connection.

Code:
proxmox-backup-client version --repository 10.0.0.100:backup-pitchoun2
client version: 2.2.6
server version: 2.2.6

What do I do wrong ?

did you provide a fingerprint when configuring the PBS storage on the PVE side?

Not sure, at least on other backup-server clients there is not fingerprint provided.
How can I check that, as I don't see

Find it

proxmox-backup-manager cert info | grep Fingerprint

And add it on the client side

and it works

Reactions: itret
I just found out that the reason why my proxmox-backups fails over time is because I use Let's encrypt certificate is renewed from time to time (I used the fingerprint): https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...-fingerprint-xx-not-verified-abort-500.90342/

The work-around is to leave the fingerprint empty.

Now I get the "error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to 10.0.0.100:8007 (hostname verification failed)".

Is there a way to solve this?

I just found out that the reason why my proxmox-backups fails over time is because I use Let's encrypt certificate is renewed from time to time (I used the fingerprint): https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...-fingerprint-xx-not-verified-abort-500.90342/

The work-around is to leave the fingerprint empty.

Now I get the "error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to 10.0.0.100:8007 (hostname verification failed)".

Is there a way to solve this?
yes, use the FQDN as it is in the certificate, not the IP address (which is not in the certificate, thus not matching and failing the verification).

yes, use the FQDN as it is in the certificate, not the IP address (which is not in the certificate, thus not matching and failing the verification).
Thanks for the reply. I'm using FQDN for the public IP using one ISP, while I use an local/internal backup-server at a seperate fiber line between two data centers (for backups only). Maybe I can solve this by some routing, but that's my initial issue. Have local private IP at proxmox and proxmox backup.

yeah, that should be easily solvable via routing or name resolution.

Haven't found a way around it yet unfortunately, since there isn't any devices in between.

either locally resolve the FQDN to the local IP (e.g., via /etc/hosts) or set a route for that host to go via your local, direct link..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!