Backup image converted from vma.zst to vmdk

sherani1987

Feb 18, 2021
Hi everyone,
I converted the backup image of my VM which was vma.zst to vmdk through the command "qemu-img" that i can import it to aws. But when i convert it and try to test it on Oracle workstation. It said vmx is corrupt. how to do the conversion in safest way in proxmox or out of the proxmox

Last edited:
How exactly? VMA is a custom file format which in your case is compressed with zst. Using it directly in qemu-img will not work.

You first must extract the contents of the VMA backup file and then you can use qemu-img to convert it.

For example:
Code:
zstd --decompress --stdout vzdump-qemu-106-2021_01_21-11_42_15.vma.zst | vma extract - extract
This will decompress the file and pipe it to the vma CLI tool installed on PVE nodes and extract the contents in the directory "extract". The directory should not exist prior to running the command.

You will end up with the config file(s) and the disk images which you then can convert. Make sure to have enough space available.

How exactly? VMA is a custom file format which in your case is compressed with zst. Using it directly in qemu-img will not work.

You first must extract the contents of the VMA backup file and then you can use qemu-img to convert it.

For example:
Code:
zstd --decompress --stdout vzdump-qemu-106-2021_01_21-11_42_15.vma.zst | vma extract - extract
This will decompress the file and pipe it to the vma CLI tool installed on PVE nodes and extract the contents in the directory "extract". The directory should not exist prior to running the command.

You will end up with the config file(s) and the disk images which you then can convert. Make sure to have enough space available.
It’s mean that I don’t need to create an extract folder it will automatically create that folder and then I can convert the image to VMDK am I correct

Yep, that directory will be created. If it already exists, vma will complain and stop.

I have the same problem too. I have two Proxmox servers running different versions, 7.3-3 and 6.1-3 respectively. The hostname machine running Proxmox 7.3-3 backup vms with zst format to Synology shared storage. From proxmox server running 6.1-3 I added the same Synology shared storage but I could see my vms. I can only see the lzo vm backup files. Do I need to convert zst to lzo ? If so how ?

Hi,
I have the same problem too. I have two Proxmox servers running different versions, 7.3-3 and 6.1-3 respectively. The hostname machine running Proxmox 7.3-3 backup vms with zst format to Synology shared storage. From proxmox server running 6.1-3 I added the same Synology shared storage but I could see my vms. I can only see the lzo vm backup files. Do I need to convert zst to lzo ? If so how ?
I guess Proxmox VE 6.1 just didn't have support for zstd backups, so it can't "see" them. You really should upgrade, it's very old and doesn't get any (security) updates anymore: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!