Backup from PBS to PVE - Pull

dima1002

May 23, 2021
Can I set up the backup so that I pull the backups from the Proxmox server?
Unfortunately, I only have 2 servers available and would like to have the backup server in the DMZ. So that there is no physical connection.

Or how do you set up the backup? I want it safe from encryption trojans.

Can I set up the backup so that I pull the backups from the Proxmox server?
no it is currently not possible that the PBS pulls backups from PVE. what is possible is that a second PBS pulls backups from your first PBS instance

Or how do you set up the backup? I want it safe from encryption trojans.
if you only allow access to port 8007 (the api/webui), a 'normal' encryption trojan should not be able to do any harm
the worst thing is that it deletes older backups, which you can prevent by using a user/token that has only the 'DatastoreBackup' privilege and not Prune or Modify
(note that you cannot use pves retention settings anymore since the pve cannot delete any backup then)

You can just do this by yourself.

- First, disable the Backup Jobs on PVE (if you not want them to run)
- then go to your PBS

- add a bash script that ssh your PVE and start the backup
or
- add a curl command that trigers the PVE API
POST /api2/json/nodes/{node}/qemu/{vmid}/backup

i don't have currently enough Time to give you a full script, but the hint should be enough?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!