Backup failing.

sherbmeister

Dec 7, 2022
Hi guys, I keep getting backup fail on all of my containers/vms.

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 597 --node auriga --storage ftp-newton --remove 0 --compress zstd --mode snapshot --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --notification-mode auto
INFO: filesystem type on dumpdir is 'cifs' -using /var/tmp/vzdumptmp780948_597 for temporary files
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 597 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2023-12-25 14:44:05
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: pihole
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: mode failure - some volumes do not support snapshots
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: starting first sync /proc/631237/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp780948_597
ERROR: Backup of VM 597 failed - command 'rsync --stats -h -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --sparse --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/631237/root//./ /var/tmp/vzdumptmp780948_597' failed: exit code 23
INFO: Failed at 2023-12-25 14:44:15
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
INFO: notified via target `mail-to-root`
TASK ERROR: job errors

Any suggestions?

Also, another issue I'm getting is after I setup email notifications on one of my PVE, I get this error

Code:
The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], 29 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Device info:
WDC WD4000FYYZ-01UL1B1, S/N:WD-WCC131086921, WWN:5-0014ee-25e4649f9, FW:01.01K02, 4.00 TB

could this mean my hdd is failing? It's mounted and used within a TrueNAS VM and TrueNAS isn't reporting anything about this issue.

Thanks.

Hi guys, I keep getting backup fail on all of my containers/vms.

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 597 --node auriga --storage ftp-newton --remove 0 --compress zstd --mode snapshot --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --notification-mode auto
INFO: filesystem type on dumpdir is 'cifs' -using /var/tmp/vzdumptmp780948_597 for temporary files
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 597 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2023-12-25 14:44:05
INFO: status = running
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: starting first sync /proc/631237/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp780948_597
ERROR: Backup of VM 597 failed - command 'rsync --stats -h -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --sparse --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/631237/root//./ /var/tmp/vzdumptmp780948_597' failed: exit code 23
INFO: Failed at 2023-12-25 14:44:15
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
INFO: notified via target `mail-to-root`
TASK ERROR: job errors

Any suggestions?

Also, another issue I'm getting is after I setup email notifications on one of my PVE, I get this error

Code:

Device info:
WDC WD4000FYYZ-01UL1B1, S/N:WD-WCC131086921, WWN:5-0014ee-25e4649f9, FW:01.01K02, 4.00 TB

could this mean my hdd is failing? It's mounted and used within a TrueNAS VM and TrueNAS isn't reporting anything about this issue.

Thanks.

After digging a bit, I found out that it was about my storage type. Snapshot is only supported by ZFS and LVM-Thin. So a fix is to just do the backup in "Suspend mode".

Still not sure about the HDD error thing though.

Hi,
the backup task you posted shows that the backup was already done in suspend mode (as a fallback):
Code:

Code:

Device info:

You can use tools like smartctl to check your disk health. I'd also check the system logs/journal for any errors around the time the issue happened.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!