Jan 18, 2024
Hi,
Is that possible to backup VMs by group? example
vm1 and vm2 will backup group1
vm3 and vm4 will backup group2

Thanks
Kazi

Hi,
please give more details about what you would need that for. Guest backups will always be collected by their unique ID. But maybe namespaces help for your use case: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/storage.html#backup-namespaces ? Then you can have different prune options/permissions. Or you can create different backup jobs on the client side if you want different schedules or retention or bandwidth limits.

I setup the proxmox environment with 7 hosts. Also setup a backup server (samba). In the hosts (7), more than 100 VMs running. I want to setup a group based backup to the backup server with different timeline. Is that possible?

Thanks
'

I setup the proxmox environment with 7 hosts. Also setup a backup server (samba).
Is this a Proxmox Backup Server installation or just a CIFS storage in Proxmox VE?
In the hosts (7), more than 100 VMs running. I want to setup a group based backup to the backup server with different timeline. Is that possible?
Yes, you can go to Datacenter > Backup and there, you can define multiple jobs with different schedules and different selection of guests. With many hosts, It's highly recommended to not start a backup on all of them at the same time, to not overload the backup server/storage.

Hi Fiona,
I go to Datacenter-->Backup section , but did not find to create group. Can you please guide me how to create group and add client VMs to the group?

Thanks
Kazi

Fiona,
Pool-based backup to select all VMs under the Hosts. But I want to backup only one VM backup every day and rest of the VMs weekly. Is that possible?

Fiona,
Pool-based backup to select all VMs under the Hosts. But I want to backup only one VM backup every day and rest of the VMs weekly. Is that possible?
Yes, you need to create two jobs:
  1. one with Selection Mode: Include selected VMs, daily schedule and just select the VM you want to backup every day.
  2. one with Selection Mode: Exclude selected VMs, weekly schedule and just select the VM you want to exclude from this job.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!