Backup and migration

l.mierzwa

Jun 2, 2009
I got 4 machine cluster, on node 4 I created container with VID 137, I've set up daily backup job for this VID, so far everything works. Now I (live) migrated this container to node 2 and now my backup job fails

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump --node 4 --snapshot --compress --storage backup 
ERROR: Backup of VM 137 failed - unable to find VM '137'
INFO: Backup job finished with errors

cron job for this backup is on every node but it contains "--node 4" parameter which I guess tells vzdump on which cluster node given VID is running and it wasn't changed after migration.

known issue. just click edit the job on the server (open it and click save) to update the cron. backup jobs are defined on the host, so if you migrate any VM you need to adapt the backup. or just configure to backup all VM´s (on all nodes), in this case nothing needs to adapted in the case you migrate VM´s.

I did update backup jobs as it was the only solution but it would be nice if it would happen automatically, I got ~60 containers, some with a big disk and most of them are just test machines and I don't care about them that much so I don't want to enable backup for all containers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!