Backing Up Proxmox with Veeam

MeCJay12

Feb 19, 2023
Hello! I swear that I've done this before but for some reason on my new Proxmox 8.1.4 system I'm having trouble installing Veeam and backing up the OS. I first tried to install Veeam like I normally do on Linux systems (command below) but when I ran a backup I get the error
Code:
Veeam snapshot kernel module not found
I tried unstalling the veeam package and reinstalling with the veeam-nosnap package and now I'm getting
Code:
Insufficient free space for a snapshot in a volume group: pve
Is anyone out there backing up Proxmox with Veeam that can point me in the right direction? I use Veeam to backup everything else so I'm hoping to not make a special backup system just for Proxmox.

Code:
wget https://download2.veeam.com/veeam-release-deb_1.0.8_amd64.deb && sudo dpkg -i ./veeam-* && sudo apt-get -y update && sudo apt-get -y install veeam cifs-utils && sudo rm veeam-release* && sudo apt -y upgrade && sudo veeam

Yes, to backup the host itself. I have used Veeam on Debian before but I haven't run into these issues before so I was wondering if there was someone who has used Veeam with Proxmox and resolved these issues.

Last edited:
I'm sure the OP sorted the issue out, but leaving this here just in case anyone stumbles onto this post, like me:
[GUIDE] Proxmox incremental backups with Veeam

TLDR:
download the deb file for their website (a free, non-corporate email account is enough) and install it:
Veeam downloads
dpkg -i veeam-release-deb_1.0.9_amd64.deb && apt update -y && apt install veeam -y

As a side note, for backing up just the proxmox host you don't need to bother downloading/installing their platform. You can use the agent as a standalone. Just run veeam once installed, it has a UI.

Reactions: Kingneutron
Thank you for that guide. It helped with my standalone machines. I was running veeam-nosnap on them to get around the headers not being installed without realizing. Regardless, the issue I had with the pve volume group being out of space is still happening. It seems to be related to Proxmox running in HA or centralized management since this issue is only happen on my 2 HA nodes and none of my 3 standalone nodes.

To be honest, I was just looking for a way to backup the proxmox host itself, then I remembered I'm quite happy with veeam on windows so I've stumbled on this post.

Now I have a combination of veeam (full backup) , syncback(backup folders on a different drive of same host) , syncthing (replicating filders across hosts) for backing up, on top of proxmox schedule backups for vms, and truenas snapshots for the storage of said vm backups... Oh, the joys of a home lab

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!