AX88179 USB Ethernet Fail to Up on Kernel 6.5.13-5-pve, Possible Fix in RC Kernel

ericdiao

Dec 9, 2023
I found my setup with a UGREEN USB Ethernet Adopter with the AX88179 chipset fail to bring up the USB interface.

Debug logs shows `ifupdown2` failed to find the interface corressponding interface:

Code:
Apr 11 22:32:28 xxxx networking[1297]: error: ifname enx000ec67988f0 not present in cache
Apr 11 22:32:28 xxxx /usr/sbin/ifup[1297]: error: ifname enx000ec67988f0 not present in cache

Digging into changes between 6.5.13-5-pve and 6.5.13-3-pve I used to run, I find the following commit that was brought to the upstream Ubuntu kernel between two versions may be blamed (using mirrors on GitHub for UX reasons):

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/d2689b6a86b9d23574bd4b654bf770b6034e2c7e

Further dig into the kernel tree shows the following commit that is in kernel v6.9-rc3 have a fix on this issue:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/2e91bb99b9d4f756e92e83c4453f894dda220f09

Based on the information I gathered, I came up with a possible cause of the bug but have not get a chance to verify (it is past 12:00 here in East Coast US on a weekday):

1. The changes in d2689b6a86b9d23574bd4b654bf770b6034e2c7e cause the driver being unable to read the MAC address of the adopter;
2. Proxmox is using systemd's Predictable Network Interface Names (https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/) to name interface;
3. ASIX88179 interfaces fallbacks to the rule number 4 of the systemd scheme of using the MAC address to name the interface;
4. Because of 1, 2 and 3, the interface is having a different name (using the rule number 5 probably) causing `ifupdown2` being unable to locate the interface with the name in the config file, resulting it failed to bring up the interface.

I will try to verify my theory tommorow after getting home. But I want to keep folks in the forum posted for the possible issue and is asking for possible workaround for this (I am pined on 6.5.13-3-pve now and I have another Realtek card ordered also). Also I would like to know if it is possible to get the fix patch backported to Proxmox kernel.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelinhlge and coq
Hello ericdiao
Yesterday i've upgraded my PVE host and lost my wan connection based on usb network adapter.
I'm not a Linux master, so I googled and found this post, (the only in my search) and understood I'll wouldn't have been able to repair my system, so I decide to reinstall my PVE host using 8.1-2.iso and restoring all my CTs and VMs.
Not an unrecoverable situation, not the first time, but always a little bit of fear.

I think my usb network adapter it's like yours:

Code:
usb-devices

T:  Bus=04 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=5000 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 3.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=00 MxPS= 9 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0b95 ProdID=1790 Rev=01.00
S:  Manufacturer=ASIX Elec. Corp.
S:  Product=AX88179
S:  SerialNumber=00000000000015
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=496mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=00 Driver=ax88179_178a
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=1024 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=128ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=1024 Ivl=0ms

How can understand when there wil a fix and I could safely upgrade my PVE host again?

Hi folks, is there any current solution/workarounds to this issue ? I'm actually totally "blocked" here with these adapters not mounting. Thanks a lot.
EDIT: got temporarily back online using disliked here REALTEK RTL8153's

Last edited:
Hi folks, is there any current solution/workarounds to this issue ? I'm actually totally "blocked" here with these adapters not mounting. Thanks a lot.
EDIT: got temporarily back online using disliked here REALTEK RTL8153's
I really used two workarounds:

1. I pinned my kernel to the last usable one `6.5.13-3-pve` by running the following

Bash:
proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 6.5.13-3-pve

2. I brought another USB Ethernet using other chipsets. I borught UE300 by TP-Link using Realtek RTL8153 which using using rtl8152 in the Linux kernel on Amazon for around US$10 and use it on my PVE instead (also unpinned my kernel).

You can also incoperate the patch (https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel.git;a=commit;h=70198d2b84710d4ee6ee254c1c49d91895fc1ec7; https://github.com/proxmox/pve-kernel/commit/64823a3dcecbe8bd56da700b511dfc670d47c7a5) to your kernel by recompile the thing with the patch.

Hi Eric,

Yes, my "quick" workaround has been to add USB3's TP-LINK RTL8153's although I do not like these adapters much.
Would you know if any fix in forthcoming PVE Kernel's will be added concerning the AX88179 chipset's ? I can wait for the official fix, I'm back online currently.

Thanks so much,
Kind regards,
m.

EDIT: another question which is not related although that situation got me questioning on any potential possibility to USB pass-through these AX88179 adapters to any given VM's ?? here these adapters are "solely" used for L2 hardware switches control data plane. Not sure it's a good idea though...

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

Yes, my "quick" workaround has been to add USB3's TP-LINK RTL8153's although I do not like these adapters much.
Would you know if any fix in forthcoming PVE Kernel's will be added concerning the AX88179 chipset's ? I can wait for the official fix, I'm back online currently.

Thanks so much,
Kind regards,
m.

EDIT: another question which is not related although that situation got me questioning on any potential possibility to USB pass-through these AX88179 adapters to any given VM's ?? here these adapters are "solely" used for L2 hardware switches control data plane. Not sure it's a good idea though...
Yes. I think a fix should be shipped with the next kernel update (?) accordding to https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5373#c2.

I have not tried any USB passtrhough stuff though. It is technically possible from my perspective but I personally will stay away from any "advanced" feature with USB because of all sort of issues exactly like this one.

The reason I opt for USB ethernet here is that I have a real 100Mbps PCI-E ethernet in a active-backup bond with it which I thought will prevent issues like this but it turns out I am wrong - ifupdown2 refuse to start the bond if it thinks an interface is missing (i dont know if it is expected or a bug, will dig into one day). But this is another story.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!