Automatic power on

Stoned

Mar 11, 2009
Sorry for my stupid question...
If i shutdown the host server (using halt, poweroff or shutdown), every night at 12.00 the server automatic power on...
The server is a Dell PowerEdge T605 with 2 opteron quad core with a proxmox 1.1 fresh and updated install
I tried to install some other linux ditribution (also debian 5.0) but only with proxmox i have this problem.
In the server's bios there isn't nothing about automatic power on...and this it isn't a wake-on-lan related problem because i have the same problem also without lan cable connected.....
Any suggestion ?

Last edited:
It has to be in your BIOS.

I check in my Bios, but i don't see nothing about automatic startup...
And, more important, with all other linux distribution (like debian Lenny and Ubuntu server) the server don't automatic startup....
I'm pretty sure that it's an OS releted problem because, for experimental purpose, after halt the server with proxmox (without touch the installed OS) i boot the server with an Ubuntu live cd, then a shutdown from this live cd and the server dosn't startup at 12.00...

Sorry for my stupid question...
If i shutdown the host server (using halt, poweroff or shutdown), every night at 12.00 the server automatic power on...

I don't see how a server can power on itself - and why should that be OS related (the OS does not run)?

I don't see how a server can power on itself - and why should that be OS related (the OS does not run)?

If i know how it's possible, i not ask help to you ;)
Can you explain me why i have this problem only with proxmox? Other os working fine...also booting and shutdown with a ubuntu live cd working fine...
Only proxmox have this problem...
It's possible that proxmox not power off the system, but only suspend them ? I think that is the only possible explanation of this strange behaviour...

If i know how it's possible, i not ask help to you ;)
Can you explain me why i have this problem only with proxmox? Other os working fine...also booting and shutdown with a ubuntu live cd working fine...
Only proxmox have this problem...
It's possible that proxmox not power off the system, but only suspend them ? I think that is the only possible explanation of this strange behaviour...

Proxmox VE is quite a cool piece of software but we have no magic here. Means if the OS is not running it cannot turn on your server.

Proxmox VE is quite a cool piece of software but we have no magic here. Means if the OS is not running it cannot turn on your server.

Ok: no magic, no ghost, no elf.....:D
And also i'm not crazy (2 other engineer have seen this server) ;)
So can you explain me why my server with proxmox start every night at 12.00, also without lan connection, whereas with all other linux distribution i tried i'm not have this problem ??
If this is a bios related issue (also my first idea), every os would have same behaviour.....
If you don't belive me, i can postion a web cam in front of server, so you can see it live :D

So can you explain me why my server with proxmox start every night at 12.00, also without lan connection, whereas with all other linux distribution i tried i'm not have this problem ??
If this is a bios related issue (also my first idea), every os would have same behaviour.....
If you don't belive me, i can postion a web cam in front of server, so you can see it live :D

Again, Proxmox VE has no magic to power on servers so the reason must be somewhere else. If you don´t believe, take a look on our source code.

may i advice to clear things out in GUI way that you install webmin from http://www.webmin.com
and look at the cron and power options for u have any PXE cards enabled ?
it might be when you shuting down the server it goes to standby for some reason

iam just thinking loud with you :)
regards
amr

Again, Proxmox VE has no magic to power on servers so the reason must be somewhere else. If you don´t believe, take a look on our source code.
Ok, proxmox isn't magic and it isn't the cause of my problem....but it work on top of a debian etch ditribution, right? If i install a normal debian etch distribution (normal net-install) i haven't problem....if i install the debian etch from you iso installer i have the problem....
My simple question is: there is the possibility that your installer contain a package that give me this problem ?

may i advice to clear things out in GUI way that you install webmin from http://www.webmin.com
and look at the cron and power options for u have any PXE cards enabled ?
it might be when you shuting down the server it goes to standby for some reason

iam just thinking loud with you :)
regards
amr

I'm pretty sure that this is my problem: my server has a PXE lan card integrated in motherbord, and a second card with 2 gigabit port (i don't know if it' s a PXE card)...
So, after your suggestion, i disabled from bios the PXE function on my first card but i have the same issue (on bios there aren't option to eventualy disable PXE on second card)...
I also install webmin to see cron job, i disable all cronjob but it seem to be impossible disable 2 proxmox related job...so, on console, i remove the cron demon from startup, but also without cron i have the same problem...
Monday i try:
1) Re-install proxmox with the PXE lan card disabled
2) Try to manual install proxmox from a normal etch installation
For now, thanks for suggestion

Ok, proxmox isn't magic and it isn't the cause of my problem....but it work on top of a debian etch ditribution, right? If i install a normal debian etch distribution (normal net-install) i haven't problem....if i install the debian etch from you iso installer i have the problem....
My simple question is: there is the possibility that your installer contain a package that give me this problem ?

Code:
dpkg -l

shows all installed packages. But it is simply a debian etch - nothing special.

New experiment:i take a simple old debian etch distribution, (r7), normal install on hd, updated and all working fine (the server sleep as a baby in the night :D)...
So, i added the proxmox repository on the apt source-list and i try to force the install procedure with a simple
Code:
apt-get install update
apt-get install proxmox-ve pve-kernel  pve-manager postfix
The procedure stop on the configuration of latest 5 package, so the proxmox web ui not work (as some other service, i think...but i not test it)...but (you will not believe me) the server return to start itself at midnight!!!
I tried also on another pc, but all work fine...
I disabled all pxe function of teh server, but always sam problem...
i don't understand the package that on my server give the ploblem

That is really strange! Proxmox packages are mainly perl scripts/libraries, nothing special. Maybe it is the pve-kernel?

My problem is that i cant reproduce that error here.

Maybe it is the pve-kernel?

Yes!!! New experiment: new fresh etch installation, added the proxmox repository on the apt source-list and i installed only the pve-kernel

Code:
apt-get install pve-kernel

After installed the pve-kernel i have the problem!
If i start the old kernel (2.6.18-6-amd64) on the grub menu, all working fine....if i start the pve-kernel i have the problem....
Any suggestion ?

Thanks for the patience ;)

After installed the pve-kernel i have the problem!
If i start the old kernel (2.6.18-6-amd64) on the grub menu, all working fine....if i start the pve-kernel i have the problem....
Any suggestion ?

Well, it is the standard 'ubuntu' kernel with the openvz patches - I have no idea whats wrong, sorry.

As far as i know a Dell PowerEdge T605 has wake on LAN (WOL)
on their mainboards. So much be something like this.

An os ( even linux :) ) CANNOT power on a server that is shutdown.

As far as i know a Dell PowerEdge T605 has wake on LAN (WOL)
on their mainboards. So much be something like this.

An os ( even linux :) ) CANNOT power on a server that is shutdown.

If you read my first post, you can read the WOL is the first excluded: i have the same problem without lan cable connected (and, without cable, nothing send to server the magic packet to wake-up)....
So, i'm not so stupid to not know that a server can't power up itself for magic, so i always think that the server SUSPEND itself and there is something in internal that re-power on....but i don't know HOW AND WHY it suspend itself, and WHAT in the pve-kernel generate the event to wake-up...
Tomorrow, i try to see the source code of kernel....

I just tried to think along with you, it could be a problem with the mainboard i combination with something right?

I've had strange things in the past like sudden sounds from a onboard soundcard, that also appeard to be a defect of the mainboard and only happend with one particular type of os.

Hope you will find out what's wrong.

[Ironic mode on]
unplug the power cable... that'll keep it down!

--Guy

Great idea!! Why i don't think it before now??
[Ironic mode off]

I try to re-compile the source code off pve-kernel, downloaded
Code:
pve-kernel-2.6.24_2009-01-15.tar.gz
from ftp://pve.proxmox.com/sources/

After installing all package reported in README file (plus the zlib library, required), i try to simple launch "make" : after server work for many minutes, the process stop with error

Code:
mv /root/pve-kernel-2.6.24_2009-01-15/kvm-83/debian/pve-kvm/usr/share/man/man1/qemu.1 /root/pve-kernel-2.6.24_2009-01-15/kvm-83/debian/pve-kvm/usr/share/man/man1/kvm.1
mv: cannot stat `/root/pve-kernel-2.6.24_2009-01-15/kvm-83/debian/pve-kvm/usr/share/man/man1/qemu.1': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/pve-kernel-2.6.24_2009-01-15/kvm-83'
make: *** [kvm-modules.tar] Error 2

What can i do ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!