Attach Brio USB Webcam to Linux VM

karypid

Mar 7, 2021
Hello,

I use Proxmox to run my main desktop. I run EndeavourOS (Arch-based) Linux on my main VM which has an RX6800 via PCI passthrough. It also has a USB mouse and keyboard that are attached to the VM.

Recently I got a Logitech Brio with USB signature 046d:085e and I cannot get it to work inside the VM.

In the EOS Forums where I initially described the issue I was able to confirm that this webcam works fine when connected directly to a physical Linux PC, for both the LTS and latest kernels of EOS, so this is an issue with Proxmox attaching the device to the VM.

How does one go about debugging such issues? Is there something I need to do to "reserve" the device (similar to what we do for GPU passthrough) so that the host system does not access it at all? For the most part USB has been quite "plug and play" so far. Here is my current VM configuration:

1701858880545.png

This is how I add the webcam:

1701859023086.png

Basically the guest VM detects the device, but when I try to use it via any webcam application (Cheese, guvcview, webcamoid,...) there is no image at all. Only a weird "low light" mode that gives a flashing black/white image seems to "work".

USB passthrough is not suitable for low-latency or high-bandwidth devices. Try passthrough of a whole USB controller (like the GPU) instead?
Note that x-vga=1/Primary GPU is intended for NVidia GPUs and not necessary for RX6800.

Hello,

I use Proxmox to run my main desktop. I run EndeavourOS (Arch-based) Linux on my main VM which has an RX6800 via PCI passthrough. It also has a USB mouse and keyboard that are attached to the VM.

Recently I got a Logitech Brio with USB signature 046d:085e and I cannot get it to work inside the VM.

In the EOS Forums where I initially described vray the issue I was able to confirm that this webcam works fine when connected directly to a physical Linux PC, for both the LTS and latest kernels of EOS, so this is an issue with Proxmox attaching the device to the VM.

How does one go about debugging such issues? Is there something I need to do to "reserve" the device (similar to what we do for GPU passthrough) so that the host system does not access it at all? For the most part USB has been quite "plug and play" so far. Here is my current VM configuration:

Basically the guest VM detects the device, but when I try to use it via any webcam application (Cheese, guvcview, webcamoid,...) there is no image at all. Only a weird "low light" mode that gives a flashing black/white image seems to "work".

USB passthrough is not suitable for low-latency or high-bandwidth devices. Try PCIe passthrough of a whole USB controller (like the GPU) instead?

Last edited:
I just want to update this thread in order to report that the BRIO is now working just fine. Turns out I was using a very slow 480Mbps A-to-B cable so the hub to which the BRIO was connected was communicating very slowly with the Proxmox host. Now that I have a 10Gbps cable between the hub and the proxmox host, the USB passthrough for the BRIO works fine!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!