Atom as vcpu

Mr. Happy

May 13, 2022
Is it possible to have a vm running om proxmox with an emukated Atom (Denverton) cpu?
It is not on the list (as far as I can tell)...

Unfortunately it is not available in the selection list on Proxmox.
I have tried to define it as a custom cpu-type, but I have no idea what flags (if any) I need to enter.
Besides that, I would expect Denverton to be available if it is supported by kvm (as suggested by kvm -cpu help).

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is not available in the selection list on Proxmox.
Besides that, I would expect Denverton to be available if it is supported by kvm (as suggested by kvm -cpu help).
Proxmox supports reasonable modern (enterprise) hardware and settings for their (enterprise) customers, not everything QEMU offers. That said, many other things also work and because of the Debian GNU/Linux under the hood a lot of tinkering is possible.
I have tried to define it as a custom cpu-type, but I have no idea what flags (if any) I need to enter.
This is the route for getting what you want, if you don't give up. Please show what you have tried (and what information you found and what errors you got) and maybe some nice people here can help you finish it.

What it looks like that I'm able to create (and boot) a vm with a Denverton cpu, but it complains about missing features.
Code:
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.fma [bit 12]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.bmi1 [bit 3]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.avx2 [bit 5]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.bmi2 [bit 8]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:ECX.fma4 [bit 16]
When I check cat /proc/cpuinfo I get (amongs other info)
Code:
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cpuid_fault epb pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d
vmx flags    : vnmi preemption_timer posted_intr invvpid ept_x_only ept_1gb flexpriority apicv tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestricted_guest vapic_reg vid ple

I'm trying to create an xpenology installation (DVA3221) which needs fma. The boot of xpenology fails without error, it just hangs.
My assumption is it hangs because of the missing fma (and possibly other features my physical cpu is missing).
Is it possible to have proxmox/qemu emulate such missing features?
Or am I looking in a totally wrong direction?

What it looks like that I'm able to create (and boot) a vm with a Denverton cpu, but it complains about missing features.
Code:
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.fma [bit 12]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.bmi1 [bit 3]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.avx2 [bit 5]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.bmi2 [bit 8]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:ECX.fma4 [bit 16]
When I check cat /proc/cpuinfo I get (amongs other info)
Code:
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cpuid_fault epb pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d
vmx flags    : vnmi preemption_timer posted_intr invvpid ept_x_only ept_1gb flexpriority apicv tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestricted_guest vapic_reg vid ple

I'm trying to create an xpenology installation (DVA3221) which needs fma. The boot of xpenology fails without error, it just hangs.
My assumption is it hangs because of the missing fma (and possibly other features my physical cpu is missing).
Impossible to tell because I know nothing about xpenology, its system requirements or any concrete error messages.
Is it possible to have proxmox/qemu emulate such missing features?
QEMU can probably not emulate machine instruction (definitely not when using hardware virtualization).
Can you share your custom CPU definition and your actual CPU type? Maybe people here can help think about a solution.
Maybe try an older Atom CPU type or other kind of CPU type supported by QEMU?

Also keep in mind that emulation is slow. I would either upgrade the hardware to support the features needed by your software or choose a less demanding software that will work with your old/weak hardware.

"I'm trying to create an xpenology installation (DVA3221)"

Why are you not using "DS918p"? Thats the most compatible device for xpenology.

Runs perfect for me, on intel ix and amd ryzen hosts.

Last edited:
"I'm trying to create an xpenology installation (DVA3221)"

Why are you not using "DS918p"? Thats the most compatible device for xpenolog

Runs perfect for me, on intel ix and amd ryzen hosts.
Because I would like to use the additional benefits the DVA3221 offers in regards to Surveillance Station. At the moment I have a DS3622xs+ running (in a vm), which does not have these benefits.

Impossible to tell because I know nothing about xpenology, its system requirements or any concrete error messages.

QEMU can probably not emulate machine instruction (definitely not when using hardware virtualization).
Can you share your custom CPU definition and your actual CPU type? Maybe people here can help think about a solution.
Maybe try an older Atom CPU type or other kind of CPU type supported by QEMU?
I have a couple of Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 in my system.

The current contents of my cpu-models.conf is:
Code:
cpu-model: Denverton
    flags +invtsc;+kvm_pv_eoi;+kvm_pv_unhalt;+lahf_lm;+lm;+mtrr;+nx;+pdpe1gb;+popcnt;+rdrand;+sep;+smep;+sse;+tsc-deadline;+vmx;-vmx-apicv-vid;+vmx-flexpriority;+x2apic;-xsave;-movbe;-rdseed;-smap;-clflushopt;-sha-ni;-3dnowprefetch;-xsavec;-xgetbv1;-xsaves;-rdctl-no;-vmx-vmfunc;-vmx-rdseed-exit;-vmx-pml;-vmx-xsaves;-vmx-eptad;-vmx-eptp-switching;-fma
Because of the missing-features messages I removed some features.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that emulation is slow. I would either upgrade the hardware to support the features needed by your software or choose a less demanding software that will work with your old/weak hardware.
Slow is relative. Is it virtualization slower than physical, most of the times it is. Would I notice it, probably not ;)

Ahh OK
Because I would like to use the additional benefits the DVA3221 offers in regards to Surveillance Station. At the moment I have a DS3622xs+ running (in a vm), which does not have these benefits.
Ahhh OK!

There is no vzdump/template file available for "DVA3221", so i think it is not possible to use this device in proxmox!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!