Assigning IP Addresses to KVM vm's

jcassan

Sep 25, 2012
Hi folks,

I am new to PVE and inherited a machine running 1.7 with several fully virtualized (KVM) vm's already configured. Those instances are working fine. Here is my problem and I apologize in advance if this question was asked and answered elsewhere or many times. In searching, I found several posts with a similar topic, but none listed a specific answer and focussed more on bridging.

Hopefully, this is a simple question...

When creating a new vm under "Container OpenVZ", you receive the "network" option to specify an IP address for the new vm. When you create a fully virtualized vm (KVM) however, there is no option for specifying an IP address as they are bridged to the vmbr0 interface.

I know it is possible to assign an IP address to KVM vm's as our instances (quantity 7) all have 192.168.x.x addresses and respond to pings to them.

I have looked at the interface configs with ifconfig and see an entry for each vm interface in this format:
vmtab111i0d0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ba:76:6a:d6:c1:e9 (one for each vm instance)

but no IP address assigned.

I have also checked the individual conf files for each KVM vm and there are no IP addresses specified there either.

So, my question is... Where do you specify the IP addresses for newly created KVM vm's? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Dietmar,
ok, so this clears up my problem of changing my VMs' IP addresses.
However, something in Proxmox is still stopping packets from my ATA reaching my VoIP server?

The packets need to travel from my cordless phone to the ATA to the router to the Proxmox node to the VM with Elastix to the extension with a password in Elastix.

I have checked this path and all settings are correct apart from something I don't know about in Proxmox?

Any ideas, please help.

Also, my hobby website isn't available any more since I updated all the IPs, so there something in Proxmox not carrying through?
I did change the hobby website VMs IP address in Webmin/Servers/BIND DNS Server/Type/All......Name/xxxx.com/Address: change from 192.168.1.120 to 192.168.1.167/Save.
...Name/www.xxxx.com/Address: change from 192.168.1.120 to 192.168.1.167/Save.
...Name/ftp.xxxx.com/Address: change from 192.168.1.120 to 192.168.1.167/Save.
...Name/m.xxxx.com/Address: change from 192.168.1.120 to 192.168.1.167/Save.
...Name/localhost.xxxx.com/Address: change from 192.168.1.120 to 192.168.1.167/Save.
...Name/admin.xxxx.com/Address: change from 192.168.1.120 to 192.168.1.167/Save.
...Name/mail.xxxx.com/Address: change from 192.168.1.120 to 192.168.1.167/Save.
...Name/xxxx.com/Additional allowed sender IP addresses/networks, I changed from 192.168.1.120 to 192.168.1.167/Save.

However I noticed the old IP of 192.168.1.120 stayed in the VM.

?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!