Assigning an additional IP to the host

bly

Mar 15, 2024
Can someone point me to the correct procedure to add an additiona IP to the pve host using the provided web interface?

Hey,

if you mean on the same interface you'd have to edit /etc/network/interfaces and add something like
Code:
iface vmbr0 inet static
       address SECOND_IP/24
just make sure both are on the same subnet. If you have a second interface you can create a new bridge, configure the IP there and add the second NIC as a bridge port.

Thanks for the info!
In my case, the new IP is on a different subnet, but I'd like the host answering to both addresses, if possible.

For two IPs in two subnets you will need a seconds NIC. If you don't have a second NIC, what you want is either not possible or complicated depending on the rest of your network setup.

For two IPs in two subnets you will need a seconds NIC. If you don't have a second NIC, what you want is either not possible or complicated depending on the rest of your network setup.

FYI on vmbr0 (192.168.1.x static IP), with the net-tools package installed, I can
' ifconfig vmbr0:1 10.9.8.7 netmask 255.0.0.0 up '

and it pings on both the 192 and 10.x networks without a 2nd NIC, but this is a standalone non-clustered PVE server. You can set it up with the class A in /etc/rc.local

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!