Ask - PERC H755 or H355

Do you ever use H755 PERC as non-raid / JBOD? Lately I use R740 and R730 with PERC,

Our experience
- Someone implemented Raid 0, but when replaced the disk becomes offline, and the need to add a foreign disk, the result rebalancing is awful because of the need to shut down the server.
- Non-Raid, When UEFI is not detected on Debian / proxmox.

Thanks

Maybe my little benchmark will be interesting for you: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/n...i-in-“hba-mode”-big-no-no.135642/#post-614021

I'm currently still missing a good offer for an HBA330. Other controllers are also conceivable. However, since I buy everything privately, this should be kept within limits. I therefore don't think it makes sense to test a PCIe 4 controller in an R730.

The thread itself is about whether the HBA330 performs worse than the H730 in HBA mode. Maybe you can also contribute your values.

But I think you can't avoid testing. However, I would lean towards the HBA350 or H755. The H355 is something in between, at least I never really understood why the H330 and the HBA330 exist.

Exactly, thanks @Darkk .

The HBA also plays a role in CEPH, but CEPH is overall more complex than just testing an HBA. At CEPH, the network also plays a significant role. I always use CEPH as storage, so you can be sure that my attempts here are largely aimed at CEPH. But ZFS or the single disk are good for comparing the HBA performance. However, the tests can be adapted to ZFS and CEPH. Of course, there are also some pitfalls with ZFS that need to be taken into account and here, too, an HBA is not a panacea. It is always important that you know your use case and your data; only then can you properly optimize your storage.

Reactions: Darkk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!