Are there any risks for removing local-lvm and assigning to local (one physical drive setup)

vukisz

Aug 10, 2023
Hi.
I am new to proxmox. I have basic nuc setup with only one 2TB SSD. Installed proxmox and home assistant by following this guide: https://www.derekseaman.com/2023/06/home-assistant-proxmox-ve-8-0-quick-start-guide.html
Default proxmox setup created 100 GB local and ~1.7TB local-lvm ?"partitions"?
I tried to create couple of lxc with Bind mount, but looks like I can only bind mount data which are part of host file system which is on local partition. Or I did miss something?

So now I just followed this "guide" to remove local-lvm (lvm thin) to reclaim almost all of 2 TB SSD back to local (lvm) partition
https://youtu.be/rMe3pd2sBf4
Now I will create one folder on root mnt to share between 3 local lxc (Plex, next cloud, transmission).
Are there any consequences of removing local-lvm (lvm thin) and reclaiming all space to local (lvm) partition? As they should be a reason why default setup does such configuration, while I only have one SSD drive
If there are some significant risks, then what should I do to achieve similar data share between different lxc containers? And do I need to completely reinstall proxmox to bring that local-lvm (lvm thin)?

Last edited:
Are there any consequences of removing local-lvm (lvm thin) and reclaiming all space to local (lvm) partition?
Its perfectly fine to not use LVM, allocate all space to single filesystem and use appropriate storage types to use that. There are many differences between the LVM and non-LVM approach, primary being - one is block and the other is file based. That said, for your application it doesn't make any difference. Do what feels right, experiment - thats the best way to learn.

As they should be a reason why default setup does such configuration, while I only have one SSD drive
LVM, in general, provides more flexible expansion/manipulation options and as fewer layers. Again, in your particular infrastructure its "6 of one, half a dozen of another".

If there are some significant risks
There are no risks
then what should I do to achieve similar data share between different lxc containers
LXC containers can only share filesystem based disks, so whether its a directory, qcow file, or LVM slice formatted/mounted - it cant be raw storage, ie LVM.
And do I need to completely reinstall proxmox to bring that local-lvm (lvm thin)?
There are no easy "one click" ways to reduce LVM slice size. It could be done without reinstall if you have lots of free time and good backups. Reinstalling/restoring would be the fastest route.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: vukisz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!