Apparently two similar tools for the same purpose, so which one to choose

Fathi

May 13, 2016
Tunis, Tunisia
Hi,
I am very happy with what i have seen i the youtube introduction of PVE 8.1 and think that the new features are major ones.
When i upgraded one of my clusters, I have seem that pve 8.1 includes phpipam and netbox, which are both labeled as ipam tools even though they are quite different.
So why didn't the team choose only one of them ? And which one should I use.
I manage different Proxmox installations, with clusters and hardware/networks of different sizes and complexities. So, presumably I should use both ( Previously i used GestióIP for IPAM, which was better than excel sheets with integration to ocsinventory-ng, and observium for more in depth information and monitoring. )

TIA
Fathi B.N.

So why didn't the team choose only one of them ?
Because Proxmox doesn't tell you how to build your business. What is your problem if Proxmox makes it possible to use many different solutions?
And which one should I use.
This is completely your own decision. I use Netbox, which is also shown as DCIM. Since I operate several racks and manage several devices, this makes sense.

Because Proxmox doesn't tell you how to build your business. What is your problem if Proxmox makes it possible to use many different solutions?

This is completely your own decision. I use Netbox, which is also shown as DCIM. Since I operate several racks and manage several devices, this makes sense.
I have non problem with. It seems juste unudial to include différent tools for the same purpose. It may be confusing.

I have non problem with. It seems juste unudial to include différent tools for the same purpose. It may be confusing.
So I still don't understand your point. It doesn't mean that you are now forced to switch or use both. You can also use and connect different storage systems, do you also find that confusing? Proxmox just tries to be as open as possible and integrate itself into existing solutions. I think this approach is good and ultimately you choose what you use.

Reactions: Fathi
You can also use and connect different storage systems, do you also find that confusing? Proxmox just tries to be as open as possible and integrate itself into existing solutions.
Thanx for this reply. Now, i understand, it's just integration with other solutions. I though it was something else (I though that pve will auto deploy a ready to use phpimapm or netbox VM/container and integrate it with itself as a plugin to enhance pve functions.)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!