API: ExternalAPIException

Feb 21, 2024
We're trying to install a new software to backup our proxmox vitrual machines. We're using Vprotect (Dell solutions) to backup those vm.
The problem is that when we try to run the software, sometimes we get this error:

API:
ExternalAPIException: Failed to execute remote command: [LC_ALL=C vzdump 530 --mode snapshot --remove 0 --compress lzo --storage vprotect], return code: 255, error: [job errors ]

we are using a 3 node cluster PVE 8.1.3.

We're trying to install a new software to backup our proxmox vitrual machines.
Are you installing it on the Hypervisor or inside the VMs?
The problem is that when we try to run the software, sometimes we get this error
So sometimes it works?
ExternalAPIException: Failed to execute remote command: [LC_ALL=C vzdump 530 --mode snapshot --remove 0 --compress lzo --storage vprotect], return code: 255, error: [job errors ]
This seems to indicate that the target of the API is hypervisor. Where is the API client and API server located? Does the software target/talk directly to PVE, or is it completely self-contained non-PVE aware solution that you trained to execute PVE command?

You can always examine PVE logs (pve proxy, journalctl, etc) to see if there is an indication why PVE command is failing.
Have you tried reaching out to Dell to see if they can advise on troubleshooting?

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Are you installing it on the Hypervisor or inside the VMs?

So sometimes it works?

This seems to indicate that the target of the API is hypervisor. Where is the API client and API server located? Does the software target/talk directly to PVE, or is it completely self-contained non-PVE aware solution that you trained to execute PVE command?

You can always examine PVE logs (pve proxy, journalctl, etc) to see if there is an indication why PVE command is failing.
Have you tried reaching out to Dell to see if they can advise on troubleshooting?

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
I'm Installing it inside a VM.

Yes, sometimes it works without problems.

Unfortunatly i don't have the documentation for the vprotect solution, because has been installed by Dell.

I've checked in the logs but i couldn't find anything. Do you know where i can find backup logs, or the logs about API calls?

Thanks

Unfortunatly i don't have the documentation for the vprotect solution, because has been installed by Dell.

I've checked in the logs but i couldn't find anything. Do you know where i can find backup logs, or the logs about API calls?
PVE logs are either in "journalctl" or in /var/log/pveproxy.

It seems vprotect is a rebadge, resale, or some other re-package of storware.eu solution. I'd reach out to them, as the API error could be generated completely within their framework. Beyond that, absent any glaring log messages in usual PVE locations, I am afraid troubleshooting 3rd party backup solution is out of scope of this forum. Unless someone is actively using it and has "inside" knowledge.

Good luck

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!