Anyway to disable repeat smart alerts?

dragon2611

Renowned Member
Jul 2, 2010
I have a drive in one of my proxmox boxes that has some bad sectors.

This drive is passed though to a VM and is part of a BTRFS Raid array and any data I care about is backed up elsewhere. I.e I should be able to quite comfortably have the drive or even the entire machine go bye bye and not suffer anything more than a bit of inconvenience since it doesn't host anything critical.

Now with that out of the way I'm not planning to replace a 3TB drive just because of 8 pending sectors considering it's been like that for about a month now and hasn't increased.

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

So is there anyway to stop it alerting me every day for this, but do it that in such a way that if the situation changes (i.e the number of pending sectors increases) then it will still alert for that.

So is there anyway to stop it alerting me every day for this, but do it that in such a way that if the situation changes (i.e the number of pending sectors increases) then it will still alert for that.
AFAIK - not really with smartd (you can generally disable mail notifications, also for a single drive though).
A monitoring solution like CheckMK, or something more fancy usually has more options for those things.

I did not find any other ways to do.
We also check Proxmox fully with check_mk, a perfect Solution for that.
But check_mk also needs smartd running, so only Spamfilter will fix that.
We appreciate early Warnings for defective Sectors, but not every 24 hours.
The Question is how many uncorrectable Sectors a Device can Handle before you get a Data loss
ZFS is a good Soltion to prevent serious Problems

* The check_mk module I used to use just collects the stats via smartctl (i.e. does not need to have smartd running).
* However I usually also run the regular tests via smartd, but have disabled the mail-feature of smartd (it should be disabled by removing the
` -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner` in `/etc/smartd.conf` (check the script, and the plugins in /etc/smartmontools/run.d, for what else happens when it recognizes issues).

Reactions: MON@H

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!