Anyone tried to install openvswitch ?

Can some one explain to me what openvswitch is supposed to do? I feel like I know what it does, but I am missing something big.

I know its supposed to allow you to create vlans, QoS, and network usage monitoring for each VM, but why do we need openvswitch for it? is there supposed to be a network performance benefit since it is more designed for multiple servers?

Can some one explain to me what openvswitch is supposed to do?
Good question that I also would like to hear a good answer to.

For me it began with a need for port mirroring to a sniffer interface. Turning vmbr0 into a hub by setting bridge_fd to 0 and bridge_ageing to 0 sort works but who wants a dumb hub when you can have a switch? Another option I tried was using iptables TEE but I couldn't make it play nice with my shorewall generated router/firewall rules.

Right now I have Open vSwitch installed with port mirroring to my sniffer interface, so mission accomplished. Checking out the rest of the features will have to wait until I'm done setting up my virtual environment.

Hi,

Im struggling with openvswitch under Proxmox. I compiled and buildt it, though could not get any data to flow through the device, may been a faulty build.
Wondering if anyone has put this into production?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!