Another case of the Web GUI being flaky.

commanderguy3001

Sep 30, 2023
As the title suggests, I'm having some issues reliably reaching the web GUI of one of my proxmox instances.
The specific error manifests in a blank web GUI, while in all cases loading a bunch of files, but then failing with an HTTP 501 error for the file /PVE/StdWorkspace.js.
A few things of note about my setup:
  • I am using Proxmox 8, and I installed this instance just about a week ago, from a freshly downloaded iso
  • I do not have a proxmox subscription.
  • for technical reasons, I need to use ssh local port forwarding to be able to access the GUI, ssh -L localhost:8006:<proxmox host IP>:8006 <device in the same network as proxmox host>
  • using ssh port forwarding like that works fine on my desktop PC (running linux, and using firefox 113.0.2) and loads the gui perfectly fine when going to https://localhost:8006, as I would expect
  • using ssh the same way from my laptop does not load the UI (also running linux, but the snap version 115.0.1 of firefox), but the ssh connection itself works fine
  • the ssh configuration on both PC and laptop is the exact same, and I am directly sshing to the same other host on the network.
Things I have already tried after doing some research on the topic:
  • reinstall proxmox-widget-toolkit: apt-get install --reinstall proxmox-widget-toolkit (I even rebooted afterwards)
  • update all packages: apt update ; apt upgrade ; apt autoremove ; reboot
  • reboot the proxmox host, laptop, PC and the secondary device I'm using for ssh port forwarding
  • using the laptop and PC from the exact same network
If anyone has any other ideas on what I could still try, please let me know.

Last edited:
if the same setup works on one machine and not on another, i would say it's most likely a network problem? we saw weird behaviour e.g. when the mtu settings were wrong/or proxy servers were wrongly configured, so the packages/files did not completely arrive on the client

can you post all and the exact error messages from the browser console log?

also does the journal/syslog on the pve host say anything during that time

if the same setup works on one machine and not on another, i would say it's most likely a network problem? we saw weird behaviour e.g. when the mtu settings were wrong/or proxy servers were wrongly configured, so the packages/files did not completely arrive on the client
Except the setups are not the same. In the non-working case his browser is installed via snap. Which I believe means it is running in a container. Which means localhost may not be the same localhost that SSH sees outside the container. He may need to use his laptop IP rather than localhost both in the SSH command and in the browser to get the SSH port forwarding to work.

Not a snap user but it works that way with other types of containers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!