(Another case of) Slow container startup

incans

Apr 7, 2023
UK
I am seeing similar slow startup of LXc containers to those reported in this thread and elsewhere, However unlike that report I'm not using docker.

I have a pretty "vanilla" installation of Proxmox 7.4.1, except for the fact that the bulk storage is on a BTRFS mirror. This machine currently hosts two LXC containers, one running Samba and Cockpit for file sharing, and the other running Plex.

Both of the LXC containers often exhibit very slow boot times, up to 6 minutes. During this time the CPU and disks are pretty much idle, and the whole OS in the container is unresponsive, so no console or terminal logins are possible, and no web services. Then the guest wakes up and runs as if nothing has happened.

I had guessed that some kind of timeout in the network setup might be the cause, and that's supported by the fact that the file server (for example) shows a "failed to start" error in the logs for interface eth0, but (bizarrely) once the container boots the network is working fine, at least as regards access via the IPv4 address.

Code:
Service logs
April 15, 2023
5:51 PM
Failed to start Raise network interfaces.
systemd
networking.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
systemd
networking.service: Killing process 89 (isc-timer) with signal SIGKILL.
systemd
ifup: failed to bring up eth0
ifup
Got signal Terminated, terminating...
ifup
networking.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd
networking.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
systemd
XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 109230ms.
dhclient
XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 109230ms.
ifup
XMT: | X-- Request rebind in +5400
ifup

I am guessing here, but could this be cause by IPv6 networking being enabled but failing to start, while the IPv4 side works ok? I must admit IPv6 is something I haven't got my head around at all, and it's quite possible that my home router is old enough to not fully understand IPv6 either.

If there's an easy way to just disable IPv6 and avoid the lengthy boot timeout that would certainly work for me for now. I guess I will have to get my head around IPv6 at some point, but I'm rather hoping that networks will be mostly self-configuring by then and the days of hand cranking Ip address configs will be long gone.

If there's an easy way to just disable IPv6 and avoid the lengthy boot timeout that would certainly work for me for now.
Set IPv6 to static and don't assign a IPv6 IP.

Another thing that might cause slow startups is disabled nesting, as newer systemd version require that to be enabled.

Reactions: incans
I had nesting enabled (just kept the default) but this seems to have solved the network errors and startup delay, thanks!

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!