AMD Ryzen 5600G iGPU code 43 error

thermosiphonas

Dec 23, 2023
Hi, I am new to Proxmox and trying to passthrough the integrated GPU of an AMD Ryzen 5600G following this guide and this guide.
I can see the gpu in the VM (a windows 11 machine) but I get a code 43 and therefore I am unable to use it.

Can someone help me solve this?

Last edited:
Look at the end of the Second guide mentioned by you.

• In random situations, I still get "error 43" when trying to initialize the GPU in the VM​

Probably related to the "amd reset issue", that prevents the GPU from binding to a VM after it was used once. The only "real" solution for this is to restart the proxmox host after stopping a VM that used the GPU. :sad:

From what I know you need to restart your Hypervisor aka Proxmox.

Try Ubuntu Live installer ISO (without installin Ubuntu) to see if you have proper output on the physical display (to rule out Windows AMD driver issues). Maybe search the forum as this has been asked before.

Tried it but still no luck. I get a black screen on my display and no GPU detected.

I got a "pci_hp_register failed with error -16" message with the VM refusing to boot. Power cycled the whole server and then the Ubuntu Live Installer VM booted but with no GPU detected.
Could it possibly be the famous AMD reset bug? If so, maybe I am on the right path but something more needs to be done?

Last edited:
I just recently managed to get igpu passtrough working on a 5600g to a windows 10 VM.
Have also been stuck at the code 43 for a long time but adding a ROM file fixed the issue for me.
Now the GPU works fine but i cant reboot only the VM, have to reboot the whole host because of AMD reset bug i guess.
Vendor Reset has not helped so far but i don't mind rebooting the whole host when necessary

Good luck! took me a while!

Reactions: lausbub
@LANnerd
oh that would be really good news. What really solved your error with code 43 then? Which guide did you follow?
Best regards Lausbub

Apparently I'm able to upload files here. Credits go to someone else on this forum, cant seem to find it at the moment.

Attachments

• vgabios-cezanne-uefi.zip
    77.2 KB · Views: 15
Thank you very much. I will test it tomorrow. I have already tested this with several ROM files, but with error code 43.
can you tell me which grub command line settings you are using?
UEFI or BIOS in the guest system?

Sorry for all the questions, but it feels like I've already wasted 40 hours on this. It would really help me.

This is what the edited line in grub looks like at my setup:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet, pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction"

I believe i only used the ACS overide, and did that before all this to pass trough a SAS controller from the second x16 slot to a TrueNAS VM.

This ROM file is to be used with a UEFI VM. Where i found it there was also a BIOS version but have not tried that. This should work with UEFI.

What could also be important is that my primary GPU is a 3060ti in x16 slot 1 passed trough to a desktop VM. because its the primary GPU the video output of proxmox will use this 3060ti. This makes sure proxmox does not try to use the iGPU at boot.
Now i can pass trough the iGPU to a jellyfin server VM. Have not tried to pass trough any audio.

Last edited:
Also, i just remembered i set the iGPU in the host bios to " UMA specified" with 2gb of memmory set.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!