AMD GPU to LXC questions

merc

Aug 3, 2021
I got a mostly working passthrough of the gpu by following instructions here and there, but I'd like a little more info to properly understand what's required. And AMD's ridiculously convoluted driver stack certainly isn't helping. Need some definitive answers on these questions please.

1) Install drivers on PVE node, the LXC container, both?

2) Assuming install on both, do they have to be the same? Can you for example install open source amdgpu driver on host and closed amdgpu-pro on lxc?

3) How about closed source firmware? Need to install it on any of the two? https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo recommends installing the non-free firmware-amd-graphics package. Apparently this clashes with the pve-firmware package. Is pve-firmware up to date? Does it include non-free firmware? Should I replace it?

If there's any hero out there who understands how amd's drivers work, thanks in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!