I am running Proxmox on my desktop with the following specs:
- Intel 13600K
- MSI Z690 A WiFi D4
- AMD RX 6650 XT
- 2x32 GB of RAM
- 2x Samsung 870 Evo 500 GB as boot drives
- XPG S70 Blade 1 TB in LVM-thin to run my VM

Usage scenario: VM running Windows/Linux) with GPU passthrough
Passthrough technique used: No blacklisting of drivers, no VFIO ids. Only 'driverctl' to pass the GPU to vfio and back using hookscript. This works!
Here is a an extract from the log 'after' VM is shutdown to prove that host(proxmox) gets the control back and starts using amdgpu driver, so VFIO is not controlling it anymore:

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6650 XT / 6700S / 6800S] [1002:73ef] (rev c1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6650 XT / 6700S / 6800S] [1043:05e3]
Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
Kernel modules: amdgpu
03:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21/23 HDMI/DP Audio Controller [1002:ab28]
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21/23 HDMI/DP Audio Controller [1002:ab28]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

Issue faced: Irrespective of the approach I use for passing the GPU or the distro used for the VM, it's temperature starts going up every time it's returned to the host(proxmox) and it gets really hot without any usage.

I have no issues passing the GPU back to different VMs, as the hookscript works perfectly. The temperatures are fine as long as its not the host but a VM controlling it. But this GPU-heat up is driving me mad. I am contemplating bidding farewall to proxmox if I can't find any solution. I have been struggling with this since several months now. I know I can let a VM run just to manage it, but that solution is not very intuitive, especially when the amdgpu driver is actively managing it in the host, like how a linux VM does..

Wondering if there is a better solution to handle it well in the host itself.

Thanks,

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!