[SOLVED] AMD GPU firmware/bios missing? amdgpu fatal error

bleomycin

Renowned Member
Mar 20, 2011
*edit* Problem Solved

For anyone from the future who may have a similar problem this turned out to be a super weird/annoying BIOS version + settings issue. In my case it required updating to a beta bios, changing the boot option to UEFI and some settings under CSM to UEFI only as well. These settings alone were not enough without the beta bios as well. Link for exact details: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_post...x470d4u-p4-20-ryzen5600g-fatal-error-gpu-boot

The GPU on my AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE fails to initialize on my proxmox 8 system. I enabled the non-free-firmware repo thinking maybe I need firmware-amd-graphics but that package would result in removing the proxmox firmware and kernel. I'm running out of ideas, I'm trying to get this gpu working so I can pass it through to an lxc container.

Code:
sudo dmesg | grep amdgpu
[   11.350538] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.
[   11.350871] amdgpu: vga_switcheroo: detected switching method \_SB_.PCI0.GP17.VGA_.ATPX handle
[   11.363938] amdgpu: Virtual CRAT table created for CPU
[   11.364250] amdgpu: Topology: Add CPU node
[   11.364602] amdgpu 0000:30:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
[   11.397492] amdgpu 0000:30:00.0: BAR 6: can't assign [??? 0x00000000 flags 0x20000000] (bogus alignment)
[   11.412324] amdgpu 0000:30:00.0: amdgpu: Unable to locate a BIOS ROM
[   11.412604] amdgpu 0000:30:00.0: amdgpu: Fatal error during GPU init
[   11.416455] amdgpu 0000:30:00.0: amdgpu: amdgpu: finishing device.
[   11.416828] amdgpu: probe of 0000:30:00.0 failed with error -22

Code:
apt install firmware-amd-graphics
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  proxmox-default-kernel proxmox-kernel-6.2 proxmox-ve pve-firmware pve-kernel-6.2
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  firmware-amd-graphics
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 162 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Code:
pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 8.0.2 (running kernel: 6.2.16-15-pve)
pve-manager: 8.0.4 (running version: 8.0.4/d258a813cfa6b390)
pve-kernel-6.2: 8.0.5
proxmox-kernel-helper: 8.0.3
proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-15-pve: 6.2.16-15
proxmox-kernel-6.2: 6.2.16-15
proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-14-pve: 6.2.16-14
pve-kernel-6.2.16-3-pve: 6.2.16-3
ceph-fuse: 17.2.6-pve1+3
corosync: 3.1.7-pve3
criu: 3.17.1-2
glusterfs-client: 10.3-5
ifupdown2: 3.2.0-1+pmx5
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-4
libknet1: 1.26-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.6
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.4.0
libproxmox-rs-perl: 0.3.1
libpve-access-control: 8.0.5
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.3.1
libpve-common-perl: 8.0.9
libpve-guest-common-perl: 5.0.5
libpve-http-server-perl: 5.0.4
libpve-rs-perl: 0.8.5
libpve-storage-perl: 8.0.2
libspice-server1: 0.15.1-1
lvm2: 2.03.16-2
lxc-pve: 5.0.2-4
lxcfs: 5.0.3-pve3
novnc-pve: 1.4.0-2
proxmox-backup-client: 3.0.3-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 3.0.3-1
proxmox-kernel-helper: 8.0.3
proxmox-mail-forward: 0.2.0
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.4.0
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 4.0.9
pve-cluster: 8.0.4
pve-container: 5.0.4
pve-docs: 8.0.5
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20230228-4
pve-firewall: 5.0.3
pve-firmware: 3.8-2
pve-ha-manager: 4.0.2
pve-i18n: 3.0.7
pve-qemu-kvm: 8.0.2-6
pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-3
qemu-server: 8.0.7
smartmontools: 7.3-pve1
spiceterm: 3.3.0
swtpm: 0.8.0+pve1
vncterm: 1.8.0
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.13-pve1

Last edited:
Reactions: cigas4
Complete Tutorial

Optional amdgpu drivers:
If you have an AMD processor with an iGPU you will have to install the drivers by hand because the pve-firmware package does not contain them.

1) check the version of the "firmware-XXXXX" package available at the bookworm repositorie:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free-firmware/f/firmware-nonfree/

2) Firmware download, extract and copy
AMDGPU
Bash:
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free-firmware/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-amd-graphics_20230515-3_all.deb
dpkg -x firmware-amd-graphics_20230515-3_all.deb firmware-amd-graphics
cp -r firmware-amd-graphics/lib/firmware/* /lib/firmware/

3) Update "initramfs"
Bash:
update-initramfs -k all -u

4) Reboot
Bash:
reboot

Last edited:
Reactions: bleomycin
I've compared the proposed firmware-update and the pve-firmware list and i can't find any substantial differences.
Code:
[   11.397492] amdgpu 0000:30:00.0: BAR 6: can't assign [??? 0x00000000 flags 0x20000000] (bogus alignment)
Also this error message sounds to me a bit more like the BIOS can't even read the ROM of the GPU and therefore doesn't know which kind of GPU it has to handle. So I think the point of loading the required firmware is never reached.
Therefore I'd update the BIOS before trying to load non-free-firmware.

Depending on the System maybe this can help
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Host-bios-upgrade

Reactions: bleomycin
I've compared the proposed firmware-update and the pve-firmware list and i can't find any substantial differences.
Code:
Also this error message sounds to me a bit more like the BIOS can't even read the ROM of the GPU and therefore doesn't know which kind of GPU it has to handle. So I think the point of loading the required firmware is never reached.
Therefore I'd update the BIOS before trying to load non-free-firmware.

Depending on the System maybe this can help
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Host-bios-upgrade
Thank you, I wound up finding out it is indeed a strange edge case needing a beta bios AND settings changed. Found the details here: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_post...x470d4u-p4-20-ryzen5600g-fatal-error-gpu-boot

Reactions: hd--
I'd like to add that aureladmin's steps successfully allowed me to get hardware acceleration working in frigate NVR, in an LXC running on a HP T620 Thin Client. I went through a lot of troubleshooting steps and could not get /dev/dri/renderD128 to show until following those steps.

As expected, the Radeon HD 8330E doesn't really work with 5k cameras main stream, but it works fine with the sub stream.

I'd like to add that aureladmin's steps successfully allowed me to get hardware acceleration working in frigate NVR, in an LXC running on a HP T620 Thin Client. I went through a lot of troubleshooting steps and could not get /dev/dri/renderD128 to show until following those steps.

As expected, the Radeon HD 8330E doesn't really work with 5k cameras main stream, but it works fine with the sub stream.

If you want a good stuff, use AMD Ryzen 3 5300GE or AMD Ryzen 5 5600GE. There are many small PCs like Nuc or other with this hardware

Last edited:
If you want a good stuff, use AMD Ryzen 3 5300GE or AMD Ryzen 5 5600GE. There are many small PCs like Nuc or other with this hardware
I was hoping for a quick experiment with the thin client I had on hand, just to see if it might be viable (and it surprisingly sort of is). It turned into a 2 day troubleshooting event that ended when I found this thread.

I'll most likely transition the coral tpu to a different node with with an Intel 630 iGPU.

You have to be careful with GPUs that are too recent, this can pose a problem. A core i3 series 10 beyond, problem with the Linux kernel version, or you have to use Xanmod.

@aureladmin
I have followed your instructions. Many thanks for that. However, it does not work for me. Do you have any ideas? I am using a Ryzen 5650GE.

First problem:
Code:
root@pve:/home/ansible# cp -r firmware-amd-graphics/lib/firmware/* /lib/firmware/
cp: cannot stat 'firmware-amd-graphics/lib/firmware/*': No such file or directory

I think I was able to do it by using "usr".
Code:
root@pve:/home/ansible# cp -r firmware-amd-graphics/usr/lib/firmware/* /lib/firmware/

At the last point "update-initramfs -k all -u" I get the following message.
Code:
root@pve:/home/ansible# update-initramfs -k all -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.13-1-pve
cp: cannot stat '/lib/firmware/updates/amdgpu': No such file or directory
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.11-8-pve
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
What am I doing wrong?

@aureladmin
I have followed your instructions. Many thanks for that. However, it does not work for me. Do you have any ideas? I am using a Ryzen 5650GE.

First problem:
Code:
root@pve:/home/ansible# cp -r firmware-amd-graphics/lib/firmware/* /lib/firmware/
cp: cannot stat 'firmware-amd-graphics/lib/firmware/*': No such file or directory

I think I was able to do it by using "usr".
Code:
root@pve:/home/ansible# cp -r firmware-amd-graphics/usr/lib/firmware/* /lib/firmware/

At the last point "update-initramfs -k all -u" I get the following message.
Code:
root@pve:/home/ansible# update-initramfs -k all -u
What am I doing wrong?

Follow the instructions:
1 Download : wget https://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/...free/firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb
2 Extract : dpkg -x firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb firmware-amd-graphics
3 copy : cp -r firmware-amd-graphics/usr/lib/firmware/* /lib/firmware/
4 update : update-initramfs -k all -u

@aureladmin

Thank you very much for your answer and help. I have followed your instructions exactly. The error remains the same. Do you have any ideas what else I could do?

Bash:
root@pve:~# wget https://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free-firmware/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb
--2024-03-18 15:41:58--  https://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free-firmware/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb
Resolving ftp.debian.org (ftp.debian.org)... 199.232.190.132, 2a04:4e42:6f::644
Connecting to ftp.debian.org (ftp.debian.org)|199.232.190.132|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 11629776 (11M) [application/vnd.debian.binary-package]
Saving to: ‘firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb’

firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_ 100%[============================================================>]  11.09M  29.2MB/s    in 0.4s   

2024-03-18 15:41:58 (29.2 MB/s) - ‘firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb’ saved [11629776/11629776]

root@pve:~# dpkg -x firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb firmware-amd-graphics
root@pve:~# cp -r firmware-amd-graphics/usr/lib/firmware/* /lib/firmware/
root@pve:~# update-initramfs -k all -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.11-7-pve
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-20-pve

@aureladmin

Unfortunately I made a mistake. I had put the amd drivers on the blacklist. Some time ago I tested a pass-through to the vm. Now I have corrected the error. However, I now receive the following messages. Are these reports critical?

Bash:
root@pve:~# wget https://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free-firmware/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb
--2024-03-22 21:47:06--  https://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free-firmware/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb
Connecting to ftp.debian.org (ftp.debian.org)|199.232.190.132|:443... connected.

firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all. 100%[=======================================================================>]  11.09M  29.3MB/s    in 0.4s   

2024-03-22 21:47:06 (29.3 MB/s) - ‘firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb’ saved [11629776/11629776]

root@pve:~# dpkg -x firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb firmware-amd-graphics
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.13-3-pve
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega10_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_6_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_6_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_9_4_3_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_9_4_3_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sdma_4_4_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vcn_4_0_3.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega10_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_6_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_6_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_9_4_3_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_9_4_3_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sdma_4_4_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vcn_4_0_3.bin for module amdgpu

@aureladmin

Unfortunately I made a mistake. I had put the amd drivers on the blacklist. Some time ago I tested a pass-through to the vm. Now I have corrected the error. However, I now receive the following messages. Are these reports critical?

Bash:
--2024-03-22 21:47:06--  https://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free-firmware/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb

firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all. 100%[=======================================================================>]  11.09M  29.3MB/s    in 0.4s  

2024-03-22 21:47:06 (29.3 MB/s) - ‘firmware-amd-graphics_20230625-2_all.deb’ saved [11629776/11629776]

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.13-3-pve

I have the same, it's Ok .
If your GPU is recognized and it works, you can ignore the messages.

Reactions: Lip90

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!