All Network devices shown as "unknown"

Jeremie

Jan 25, 2017
Hi;

I am new to proxmox and tried to install it on top of a fresh debian jessie.
Installation worked like a charm, I added openvswitch-switch (from proxmox repositories) and tried to build a Vswitch. The board has 7 network interfaces, all of them are shown as type "unknown' instead of network devices. The status is active (yes)
Can't figure out where I am wrong and need some help.

If I try to add them to a switch i get an error:
- interface 'WAN1' is not defined as OVS port/bond (500)
The classic Linux bridge works fine though.

I renamed the interface in 70-persistent-rules. They seem to work fine when used from the node itself but perhaps this is causing some unexpected issue elsewhere.

Did anybody ever see this problem?

Hi,

when you write "unknown" you meen on the GUI?

If yes we do not parse all dev only "bond<x>" "eth<x>" and <vmbr<x>> are valid names. x is a number
All other device names like vlan ,... are not allowed.

So if you make a openvswitch bridge name it vmbr

Hi Wolfgang;

thank for the reply.

Yes I meant the GUI. The interfaces seen as unknown are ethX but I renamed them. If the name is the base then i guess that this is the reason why we have this issue. I will change that and update.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!